I have a question regarding landscape architecture registration requirements in Texas.  I am a native Houstonian and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 2015 with a Masters of Landscape Architecture.  During my studies and for about three months after graduation I worked under registered landscape architects in Texas and Pennsylvania.  In November 2015 I took a job in Australia, and have been working at a major firm under registered Australian landscape architects since then.

Can anyone tell me if the time I have spent working under registered landscape architects in Australia will be counted towards meeting the 2-year working experience requirement for registration in Texas?

I realise that this is a state-specific question but perhaps the Land8 community can share some insight.  I have emailed the Texas Board of Architectural Examiners with this question but I expect they will be quite slow to respond. 

Kind regards,


Views: 75

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just received some good news on this from the Texas Boards of Architectural Examiners:

"The experience gained in Australia will count, with a letter from the Regulating Board verifying your supervisors registration."


That really is GREAT news......that your LA experience in Australia will count towards the required experience you need to become a Licensed LA in The State of Texas.  I definitely think that experience should count!

If you haven't already begun....you should be thinking about getting started towards passing the various sections of the L.A.R.E. exam....it's my understanding, that it's NOT an easy thing or cheap to accomplish.  But, there are some very good L.A.R.E. study seminars you can register for in various U.S. cities....that should help you expedited the process.

Having passed the L.A.R.E. exam......and then, having worked for a Licensed LA for a min. of 2 yrs....you will be eligible to apply for an LA License in The State of Texas.  Once you get licensed in one State....you can normally apply for reciprocity in most other States.  Though, some States, like California, Nevada & Florida do have an additional State Exam you would need to pass....maybe other States as well.

Also, be sure to stay on top of your "continuing education" requirements once you are licensed....and keep good records of those courses you took.  And, do yourself a big favor...and as you move forward in your LA career...continue to build your "Professional LA Portfolio" and guard it well.....it's your ticket to your future!  

Feel free to contact me should you need any assistance or advise along the way.  I'm a Texan too....spent most of my LA career in the Dallas area.

Best Regards,

J. Robert (Bob) Wainner      Email:  bobwainner@gmail.com

Great info, thanks Bob!


New Jobs!



Which has a better employment outlook? 49 Replies

Hello, I'm currently a freshman environmental science major. I'm on the planning and administration track, which means I'm taking a combination of ecology courses, political science courses, and geography courses (including urban planning, physical…Continue

Tags: outlook, job, employment, major, education

Started by Kristen Barre in EDUCATION. Last reply by J. Robert Wainner 21 hours ago.

Tree for inside/ outside 12 Replies

I'm designing a home in Temecula, CA, Zone 10, where i'd like to have a tree growing inside and the same kind of tree outside.  Both indoor and outdoor spaces receive partial to full sun depending on the time of day.I have 2 questions:- The height…Continue

Started by Paul Minotto in DETAILS & MATERIALS. Last reply by Paul Minotto on Tuesday.

School supplies

Hello all,I'm in the midst of moving and clearing out my la school supplies following graduation from the MLA program at Morgan state university.The supplies got me through school and would love to pass onto an incoming student. I've got velum…Continue

Tags: school, supplies, rendering, chartpak, Prismacolor

Started by Gerrit Shuffstall in GENERAL DISCUSSION on Sunday.

How to select a Master? 7 Replies

I’m planning to go for higher studies. Currently I’m a graduated with four year Bachelor of Landscape Architecture (Hons) degree. Now I’m willing to practice landscape architecture. But in near future I’m planning to have higher studies.What are the…Continue

Started by Nadun Jayasundara in STORY BOARD. Last reply by Nadun Jayasundara on Saturday.

© 2017   Created by Matt Alcide.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service