I am aware that there are a ton of different file naming methods.  I am used to a simple naming convention:

L-Base.dwg : Landscape Base
L-Grading.dwg: Grading
L-Planting.dwg: Planting
etc.

How do you name your CAD files?

Tags: Cad, Standards

Views: 754

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So what do you do when you get a new site plan from a consultant? Block it in? I don't get it. I'm also having trouble understanding how you're viewporting the ttblock AND the site linework into the same sheet. You have a vp inside a vp?

I like the idea of a national cad standard naming convention.
I hate to answer for Andrew, but I'm pretty sure he does have a vp in another vp and certainly more than one in some layouts.

By the way Andrew, I've noticed that when I have a vp in a vp I can't work on the interior vp. Double click in it and I only get the vp in which it's embedded. I have managed this by moving the vp off the paper to edit, then back when done--it does sort of lock the vp, but it's a pain, especially if I've got something only on the layout (not in the vp). I'm sure I can change the shape of the larger vp, but sometimes I don't want to do that.
Any ideas on that one?
Yes, Lynn, they are just separate viewports. When one viewport is sitting within the bounds of another, I click on it to get the grips lit up and then stretch it out past the edge of the other that it was surrounded by. Then you can click in it without clicking within the other one.I use separate viewports for plant shedules as well so that I can keep the symbols at the same scale as they appear in the plan.

Some people like to blow up their paperspace to match the scale of the viewport so that the text and dimensioning are the same. I gave that up for using inches in paper space and zoom and lock my viewports to the scale that I'm using. I find that it keeps from having scaling mistakes. I keep my properties open and anchored on the right so that I can edit just about anything including viewports just by clicking on them and editing color, scale, and about anything else right in the properties dialog box. Especially handy for managing viewports (locking and scaling).

I used to manage layers using "layer manager" or whatever they now call it, but evolved into managing all layer setups through the layouts and viewports and keeping global model space ALL Thawed. Everything is the way it should be at all times. When I need to turn on other layers I either go to global model space make the desired layer current, click on the layout I want to thaw it on, and then thaw it in the drop down layer too bar that is displaying that layer since it is current (very quick).
Thanks Andrew. I've never tried blowing up paper space. It did take a little time to get used to the difference in scale in and out of a viewport. I created a text and leader style just for layout when I need to put something in paper space. Don't use it much, but it's good to have.

Annotative texts have been my difficulty. Every time I think I've got it, I seem to miss something.

So, if you keep everything on in model space, does that mean you work in the viewports when you need to work on the model. I would say I keep everything on in model unless it gets in my way. I'd say I use fewer than 25 layers most of time so it's not a big deal to turn a couple off now and then. (By the way, I love how you turn off layers in SketchUp--just check the ones you want--maybe AC will add that.)

One more thing (sorry to hijack this thread) but I've rarely ever used plant schedules. I label well and it wasn't the convention at the last company I worked. I have used a few lately--certainly put them in viewports. How does everyone create a plant schedule table?

Actually, I think I'll see if I can start a new discussion on plant tables. Please look for it and comment.

RSS

Blog Posts

LAbash 2014 Brings Landscape Architecture Students Together in UW-Madison

Posted by Stephanie Marino on April 16, 2014 at 9:30am 0 Comments

Over 300 landscape architecture students from all over the U.S. and Canada…

Continue

JOB BOARD

© 2014   Created by Andrew Spiering.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service