I am seriously considering making the change from PC to mac. I'm looking to hear from anyone who has made the transition and used either boot camp or parallels and which you thought the better of the two.

Views: 793

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes to all that you said.  Boycott them all.  Our only real power in this country is as a consumer, so why give that up too like you seem so willing to?

Support your local farmers, buy directly from them at farmers markets and enjoy that connection.

Finally, you really are a whirlwind of snarky antipathy, one of the finest on the internet.  If there were an award for such a thing, you'd be in the running.

Henry, I promised myself years ago to never get involved in these types of debates again. I won't. I'll make it short and sweet. My background: PCs at work (no surprise) and Gateway personal laptop. Owned a PowerMac while in school. Own an iPhone and iPad2 now. I'm laughing all the way to the bank every time I read about these debates. Just ignore the noise around you and follow your gut feeling. The autocad on Macs, boot camp, etc., etc. will all work itself out. Seriously, like anything in life...follow your gut feeling. Its why I bought over 1k shares of Apple stock twelve years ago and also took this Maui County job. The company I worked for in Arizona ended up laying off their entire staff in 2009, a full year after I left. Which means I would probably be unemployed now or working in China. 

“Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The ones who see things differently. The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world and are the ones who do it.” (Images from ASLA Conference in Wash DC.) 

Bert, it looks like great minds think alike. I have a Gateway Desktop and a Gateway laptop, just recieved my ipod touch yesterday. Actually I was asking about Boot camp and Parallels, the difference between the two and who thought what about them.

Who are the folks in the pics?

Henry, this article by Paul Thurott of winsupersite.com might answer your question. He explains the difference between Boot Camp and Parallels. Mr. Thurott also has a podcast called Windows Weekly http://twit.tv/ww, which you can subscribe to on iTunes. In one of the episodes, he talks about his experience of running Windows on his Mac, but I can't remember which episode.

the article:

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/best-of-both-worlds-w...

Thanks Ida, most helpful.

As I understand it:

Boot camp: running the computer completely in Windows (iOS is not running); Apple hardware, Windows software

Parallels (VMware is another option as well as others): is running a "virtual" Windows environment (running iOS and Windows at the same time.

Boot camp is faster and allows software to run completely as on a PC, but with somewhat better integrated hardware Macs seemed to have, it does leave you open to all the same virus/malware/spyware issues as a PC (though a "virtual PC" can also have the same issues); the drawback being that you can't switch back and forth.  At school I ran bootcamp on the school machines and kept files on a server, on my laptop I choose to use parallels (older versions couldn't fully use the graphics card).

Thanks Tosh, clear and to the point.

RSS

JOB BOARD

© 2014   Created by Andrew Spiering.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service