Project Manager Training?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Colter Sonneville
    Participant

I was wondering if anybody out there had a formal or informal PM “break in” or training program. The PM programs that I’ve looked into don’t really apply to landscape architecture. There’s got to be something for architecture or another allied field that applies to LA project management, right?

Tosh K
    Participant

In small offices you’re forced into it; larger ones may send you through a program (PSMJ a consulting firm offered one).  Yes, engineering/architecture PMing is all the same – I’d say engineers tend to have a smoother process as they seem to train theirs (architects often just learn it on the job which leaves a lot of holes)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am currently working on a Project Management Professional (PMP) designation.  I’m not a landscape architect but I’m an AICP planner doing subdivision design.  The PMP is a general project management credential that is found largely in business and IT fields.  I don’t plan on using the PMP to further myself in land planning.  I am already a manager.  However, it would be a good credential to use as a transferable skill if I ever want to branch out into a completely unrelated profession.  There is a small but growing number of planners, architects, engineers who have this credential and I think it’s far more useful and practical than a LEED-AP designation.  Just my two cents. 

Keith A. French
    Participant

Someone once told me that if you want to be an expert on anything read 10 books about the subject and you will be in the top 80 to 90 % of experts on the subject.
    Reading about Project Management is one of those subjects.
    Find every bloody book you can (Old and New) about the subject. Key to project management is to develop an understanding of the Relationship of each task to all others. Some task can seem so small and irrelevant but also so key to the project success that they can blow any project.

Think about how discovering the escape Velocity of a Space Capsule changed the game. OMG that was a key that solved the program.

It can be as complex as that example or as simple a understanding what is the purpose of management.

I tend to agree with what Keith has suggested here.

Colter, you didn’t mention if you were currently working for an LA firm or how many yrs. of experience you have as an LA.

Normally, I have found that “Project Managers” get this job designation after they have been practicing LA design for several years. It’s just extremely helpful to “understand” the design process and have gone through it many times…before you are actually managing a project. IMO, “experience” is the best teacher.

But, if you GOOGLE “Books for Landscape Architectural Management”, you’ll fine many useful books on the market…..about the subject…and about all of the various aspects of “LA Professional Practice”.

GOOD LUCK!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register