Landscape Architect Intern
New York, NY
Title: Landscape Architect Intern
The mission of Forestry, Horticulture and Natural Resources is to protect, restore, expand and manage New York City’s natural spaces and green infrastructure. The division is responsible for citywide urban forestry, ecological and horticulture initiatives. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. www.nyc.gov/parks
• Reporting to the Director of Green Infrastructure and working closely with the Street Tree Planting team, perform landscape architectural work of moderate difficulty and responsibility.
• Prepare landscape and tree planting design plans for the replacement and planting of new trees within landscaped areas of parks, considering historical context, current park use, existing park infrastructure and overall future park canopy goals.
• Specify tree species selections based on tree habit, size, longevity, tolerances and biological requirements.
• Coordinate and correspond with inter-agency teams, community members and public officials regarding various aspects of projects.
• Prepare specifications and estimates of quantities.
• Investigate and propose solutions to problems of grading, spatial organization and site utilization.
• Consult with foresters, engineers and contractors on a regular basis throughout projects.
• Examine consultant contract drawings, specifications and construction estimates; submit reports.
• Conduct site inspections for quality assurance.
1. A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Landscape Architecture from an accredited college or university.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
1. Demonstrated ability to design and complete landscape architecture projects as demonstrated by a portfolio.
2. Knowledge of green infrastructure principles and practices.
3. Certification as an arborist by the International Society of Arboriculture, or registered as a consulting arborist by the American Society of Consulting Arborists.
4. Strong arboricultural and horticulture background.
5. Knowledge of AutoCAD, Photoshop, PowerPoint and 3D rendering.
6. Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
7. Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
8. Driver license valid in New York State.
Salary: $47,860 - $55,039
Apply by 9/18/17
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
1) Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
2) Search for Job ID#: 302086
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
NOTE: All resumes must be received no later than the last day of the posting period. References will be required upon request.