Landscape Architect Salaries

This topic contains 23 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  J. Robert (Bob) Wainner 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Hi Tim…..

I just did some on-line research an was able to establish that YES…the U.S,. Bureau of Statistics DOES take into account “Attrition Rates” when they put together their job projections.

So, again, what I was stating….the Bureau says there will be (100) LA job openings. Then, you look at the 75 U.S. Universities with LA degree programs that graduate approx. 40 to 50 LA grads EVERY year….so, a total of almost 3,000 LA graduates per year……all trying to get one of those (100) job openings. I seriously doubt..that every year, there will be a total of 3,000 LAs who will die, get fired, change professions or retire…..just not going to happen.

Just looks to me, that the LA profession is not doing as well as it was over the past 30 to 40 years. This profession is an important one to our society and I really don’t like to see what looks to be a trend that LAs are not in demand as they once were.

Leslie B Wagle
    Participant

The future is a natural concern for those at the gateway, in the middle, and even in Bob’s (and my) lane who won’t be directly affected but still care about the field.

As far as encouraging or discouraging young people, maybe the issue is whether what we foresee it in terms of their chances of doing classic design work (perhaps with over-emphasis on that)? I’m reading from those in mid-career what sounds more like we all have to make our own ”niche,” and those niches may be out there but the safe place in an all-LA firm doing aesthetic spaces (I tend to agree with Bob) is going to be rarer than students may be prepared to encounter. Even in residential work, there is growing competition from people with a piece of software passing themselves off as designers and I think their ”renderings” are impressive to the lay person and they (clients) those graphics come from or go straight to design/build firms without anybody involved having full LA training. If LA’s are doing public / corporate / multifamily etc. work, that’s better for the field but I we need to be truthful that there is no ”protected space.” That doesn’t mean a vast percentage of grads have to find another field, but they will have to be creative and pretty close to relentless to create their own pathways. So it’s not for the faint. Applied imagination will be needed out in the world as well as in the studio. If they can’t find a path, then they will be ”surplus.”

That’s not what people want to hear but I bet it’s going to be a rougher world in general. Still, in the new ranges of chanllenges, there should be some bright spots for the determined, maybe not easy to see but what I like is when people describe to the forum the steps and results of how they found their way.

Leslie B Wagle
    Participant

Sorry for garbled sentences in the middle there – time needed for edits not long enough LOL

Tim Daugherty
    Participant

Bob – this is tedious and silly. Good luck with your crusade.

Tim…I absolutely intended no disrespect towards your or any of your opinions in this thread. As an LA very close to being retired…..searching for an LA JOB is really not a problem for me. I do continue to do freelance projects from time to time.

What I find is SAD is that LAND 8 states there are 19,000 User Profiles on LAND 8….but, there are only a few members who have commented on THIS thread……..or for that matter, so FEW of those 19,000 members that are even active. WHY are those members even members of LAND 8, if they never get involved…never voice their opinions about some of the issues that are posted???

I sincerely HOPE that I’m very wrong about the future LA JOB situation. Guess we’ll all just have to wait and see. I will always care about Landscape Architecture and hope ALL LA graduates are lucky enough to have an enjoyable 40 yr. LA career like I have had.

Best Regards,

Bob

Tim Daugherty
    Participant

Fair enough. My guess is talented students who work hard will have zero problem finding a job. (I’m excluding, of course, a massive recession period like 2008).

Anonymous

A call for “professionalism”, from the guy who said
    “OK, you and other young LA grads can just live at home with Mommy and Daddy during their first 5 to 8 yrs. of their design career in those high cost of living markets”

Your xenophobic views are out of touch with the modern society. The world is largely a perfectly safe place for American citizens to work and to travel. I suspect you have not traveled, lived, or worked abroad for any significant period given your opinion. There is far more interesting work and projects of significance being done abroad than here in the US. Fact is, international work, especially in the Middle East, Africa, and SE Asia is what is keeping the lights on at most of the big offices headquartered in the US or Europe when the economy is soft and/or the US is not investing in significant projects in a meaningful way.

I’m guessing the general lack of participation here is a signal to noise ratio issue.

Ellen Rita Hu
    Participant

Interesting point you make.

Still “name calling” huh, Jeff…nice. And now, hiding behind “Anonymous”. If you’re going to be like that, at least allow members to know WHO you are.

No, I am not xenophobic. I’m sure there are some good LA jobs in Dubai and Kuwait. I just believe American Citizens (LAs) need to go into the jobs with their eyes wide open. There are many foreign nations, including several in the Mid-east that are not exactly safe for Americans. As I mentioned, I passed on a job offer with Belt Collins in Hong Kong…had nothing to do with the working in China – it was a personal decision.

And, yes, I have travelled to several foreign nations. 8 European Nations when I served for 4 years in the U.S. Navy. How MANY years of your life did you serve the United States of America??? And, I have travelled outside of the U.S. after I was honorably discharged from the U.S. Navy. But, there are Counties I just wouldn’t consider visiting and the U.S. Gov’t has a list of Nations they warn American Citizens against visiting.

Yes, I was sort of “tongue in cheek” calling out young LAs, not to make fun of them, but, to make a point that the cost of apartments, cost of living, high State Income taxes were something they HAD to consider where ever they searched for an LA job…especially from graduation thru the first few yrs. On the LAND 8 board, there’s an LA job in the U.S….1 – 2 yrs. of experience (pays $20 to $25 per hour). The new U.S. Federal min. wage income that Liberals are pushing for is $15.00 per hour (for unskilled uneducated labor).

Looking at the average Apartment Rents in various major U.S. Cities…take a look. Los Angeles ($2,516.00); San Francisco ($3,206.00); Phoenix ($1,082.00); Dallas ($1,032.00);
    Houston ($1,103.00); Chicago ($1,998.00); New York City ($3.757.00); and Boston ($3,528.00).

LAs can do their own research on “cost of living in those cities”…but, I can tell you that those rent rates are very telling. Thousands of people are living out of their cars in Los Angeles. State income taxes for a low salary is not a major concern…but, transportation, utilities, etc. all add up. I suppose having a couple of roommates your first few years after graduation would work. But, entry level LA incomes are just really pretty low.

Good Luck to ALL new LA graduates. I’m hopeful that our current GOOD U.S. economy will provide job opportunities for you.

J. Robert (Bob) Wainner

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register