Alta Planning + Design is a full service consulting firm providing planning, engineering, and landscape architecture services in the areas of multi-modal and sustainable transportation including street and intersection design, corridor and safety studies, trails and greenways. Alta is a world leader in bicycle, pedestrian, complete streets, and active transportation projects from planning to implementation including outreach and education programs. Alta is a fast-growing and dynamic company with 200+ staff working in a collaborative fashion from 35 offices in the U.S. and Canada. Alta’s mission is to help ensure that every community offers a full range of mobility options for people of all ages, interests, and abilities.
An understanding of the field of non-motorized transportation, the ability to collaborate across discipline boundaries to support the delivery of solutions which meet client expectations is required in order to successfully meet the requirements of this position.
The essential priorities of this exempt, salaried position are to:
- Enhance Alta’s reputation as a trusted advisor and expert by educating clients and other relevant parties, supporting solutions which will meet their business objectives.
- Produce high-quality, accurate and complete design documents, reports and analyses.
- Participate in public outreach and other project deliverables.
Responsibilities + Tasks
Additional responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Developing cost estimates and design details for construction documents.
- Creating plant palettes and landscape design recommendations.
- Participating in and facilitating community meetings.
- Aligning trails and other design elements to meet appropriate ADA requirements.
- Creating photo-renderings of project deliverables.
- Designing or redesigning roadways to follow complete street principles.
- Performing GIS data processing as necessary.
- Mentoring less senior staff in the development of their own professional technical proficiencies.
- Contributing to research and enhancing professional staff knowledge.
- Contributing to blogs and internal whitepapers.
- May contribute to the hiring process.
This position requires a combination of skills, experience and education including, but not limited to:
- Bachelor’s degree in Landscape Architecture, Architecture or a related field of study.
- Five (5) or more years of experience in a consulting environment or public entity.
- Knowledge of, and interest in, the field of active, non-motorized transportation.
- In-depth understanding of street and trail design principles.
- General understanding of NACTO, MUTCD, ADA, and relevant state DOT design requirements.
- General knowledge of the principles of site grading and general construction techniques.
- Ability to effectively read, understand and utilize technical drawings, maps and other similar documents.
- Ability to create photo-renderings, concept sketches, construction drawings and other similar materials for use in proposals and project deliverables.
- Exhibits strong initiative and the ability to work independently with little or no supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to manage competing priorities and multiple simultaneous projects involving cross-functional project teams.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Strong professional ethics, leadership skills, accountability, and decision-making capabilities.
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication, and analytic skills.
- Exhibits accuracy, attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Proficient in MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Adobe Creative Suite, AutoCAD, Photoshop, SketchUp, GoogleEarth GIS, or similar products.
- Proficiency in an enterprise-wide resource planning and project management tool.
Preferred Skills + Certifications
There are a number of additional skills, experience and education that would be beneficial to this position including, but not limited to:
- Master’s Degree in Landscape Architecture.
- Marketing knowledge of the local market where the position is located.
- Experience mentoring professional staff.
- Proficient in Civil 3D, Photoshop, ArcGIS, GoogleEarth GIS, or similar products.
- Experience using Deltek Vision.
- Experience presenting white papers or other presentations at conferences and other events promoting the field of sustainable infrastructure and active, non-motorized transportation solutions.
- Active participation in industry-relevant professional associations and committees.
- Professional Landscape Architect licensure
To apply for this job please visit altaplanning.com.