Website Department of Plant Science and Landscape Architecture, College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, University of Maryland
The Department of Plant Science and Landscape Architecture (PSLA) invites applications for a Full Time, 9-month tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor to contribute to our Bachelor of Landscape Architecture (BLA) and Master of Landscape Architecture (MLA) programs. The responsibilities for instructional, scholarly endeavor, and service workloads for full time tenure track faculty can be found at II-1.25-POLICY ON FACULTY
WORKLOAD AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(http://www.usmd.edu/regents/bylaws/SectionII/II-1.25.pdf). We are looking for scholars with a strong
background in landscape architecture who can teach broadly across the landscape architecture core
The University of Maryland Landscape Architecture Program’s mission is to foster visions of a sustainable future and develop the expertise that will establish landscape resilience and beauty. It offers two independently accredited professional degrees including the Bachelor of Landscape Architecture (BLA) and the Master of Landscape Architecture (MLA). It also offers dual degrees in Landscape Architecture and Community Planning and (LACP) and Historic Preservation and Landscape Architecture (HPLA) in collaboration with the School of Architecture, Planning, and Preservation. Landscape Architecture is housed within the Department of Plant Science and Landscape Architecture (PSLA) in the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources on the College Park campus of the University of Maryland. Excellent opportunities exist for research, teaching, and community engagement with the National Center for Smart Growth Research and Education and its Partnership for Action Learning in Sustainability (PALS), as well as other administrative university units.
COLLEGE AND CAMPUS INFORMATION:
Located between the boundaries of the Northern Piedmont Uplands and the coastal plain in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed, the University of Maryland, College Park is the flagship institution in the University System of Maryland. Our 1,250-acre College Park campus is five miles from downtown Washington, D.C., and within 30 miles of both Baltimore and Annapolis. This unique proximity to business and technology leaders, federal departments and agencies, and countless research entities, cultural centers, and non-profit organizations is unparalleled. The area is home to landscape architecture’s national organizations including ASLA, LAAB, LAF, CLARB, TCLF and myriad other related associations and societies. Synergistic opportunities for our faculty and students are virtually limitless in the nation’s capital and surrounding areas.
The University is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding and diverse faculty and staff that will enhance our stature of preeminence in our three missions of teaching, scholarship, and full engagement in our community, the state of Maryland, and the world.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
The successful candidate will be expected to deliver lecture courses, seminars, and design studios at the undergraduate and graduate level, to mentor graduate students through service on thesis committees, and to advise students on academic and career choices. The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate their commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
The successful candidate will also be expected to engage in original scholarly research and/or creative work and to disseminate this work through a suitable peer-review process. As a good citizen of the department, the successful candidate will join the faculty in shared governance of the Landscape Architecture Program, the Department, and the College and University.
• Accredited professional degree in landscape architecture and a
• Master or PhD degree in landscape architecture or a terminal degree in a related field
• PhD and/or experience in teaching and practicing landscape architecture
• A record of scholarly accomplishments through academic and/or professional practice
• Candidates who have conducted externally sponsored research will be given strong consideration
• Demonstrated research expertise or design excellence in critical emerging issues such as ecological design, climate change resilience, and green infrastructure are a plus, as are interests in underserved and vulnerable populations or communities.
• Salary will be commensurate with experience. The University of Maryland offers an extensive benefits package.
Candidates MUST apply online at jobs.umd.edu. Please attach the following:
• Letter of application clearly indicating qualifications and goals for scholarship and teaching;
• Current, complete and signed CV;
• A statement confirming a commitment to supporting diversity, equity and inclusion;
• Sample publications or other related work (File size must not exceed 5 MB. Larger files may be sent directly to faculty search committee chair at email@example.com);
• Transcripts (unofficial copies acceptable for application process); and
• Name, address, and email address of three professional references.
Questions may be sent to Dr. Byoung-Suk Kweon, Faculty Search Committee Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing Date: Review of application material will begin November 15, 2019. Position is open until filled.
The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment, educational programs and activities,
To apply for this job please visit ejobs.umd.edu.