Website GROUND STUDIO
GROUND STUDIO is an award-winning landscape architecture studio with offices in Monterey, Napa and – coming soon – Santa Barbara. Our work celebrates the uniqueness and diversity of each client and place, maintaining a consistent focus on design excellence, thorough project management, and superior service. Our process is rooted in collaboration, and team members are involved throughout the project duration, from design conception to details, demanding dedicated engagement in the entire process. Visit our website for an overview of our work.
We are seeking candidates for the position of Senior Designer to join our northern California offices in beautiful Monterey and Napa. We are looking for designers who are driven, passionate about their work, deadline oriented, articulate, and responsive to a collaborative design environment. This is a full time position with a competitive salary commensurate with experience. We offer a comprehensive benefit package including paid vacation, insurance; medical, dental, vision, and term life, plus participation in a retirement (401k) plan and bonus program.
Senior Designers guide project design through oversight and direction of Project Managers (see Project Manager description below) in the typical studio process. The focus of this role is to provide inspiration, guidance, and oversight for project design and process for Project Managers.
- Exemplify Ground Studio philosophy and core values to project teams, both internal and external.
- Be a support for Partners by attending early design / site meetings and capturing big picture ideas to inform the project story.
- Develop a project story document and communicate the vision to Project Manager and Design Staff for the project.
- Provide regular updates to Partners regarding project status and needs.
- Coordinate with all Project Managers on project budgets and report to Partners on progress and updates regularly.
- Present to project teams when needed in collaboration with or on behalf of Partners
- Be thoroughly versed in Project Workflow and Project Manager job description and be able to guide Project Managers in Ground Studio standards.
- Engage Project Managers and all Design Staff in such a way that encourages responsibility and ownership of work, empowering them to make decisions that reflect Ground Studio values.
- Support for Project Managers, including:
- Design direction
- Priority setting help
- Encouraging responsiveness to entire project team
- Setting expectations for professional conduct
- Seeking closure and completeness, with daily efficiency
- Communicating clear expectation of all deliverables
PROJECT MANAGER/LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT
- Lead landscape architecture projects from conceptual design through construction administration, including management of sub-consultants and production staff
- Assume responsibility (with support) for the production, organization, coordination, and accuracy of all documents and presentation documents
- Exercise discretion and independent judgment in the performance of duties.
- Lead multiple projects in various stages of development simultaneously and work cooperatively with the principal team to ensure design integrity and graphic consistency.
- Communicate with and coordinate the efforts of project team members, clients, consultants, contractors, and agency officials
- Manage project schedule, workflow, and anticipate required staff resources and delegate accordingly
- Work with the project team to produce presentation materials for client and agency presentations
- Research and specify materials, products, and systems
- Attend job-site meetings, issue supplemental instructions, review submittals and shop drawings during the Construction Administration phase
- Coach and mentor Design Staff, share experiences and lessons learned to increase the firm’s common knowledge
- Strong leadership and communication skills are essential to success in this position
- MAC OSX – we are a MAC based office
- Vectorworks Landmark 2020 experience or an ability to learn this program quickly
- MS Office Suite
- Adobe Design Suite
- Hand sketching and lettering
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Landscape Architecture or Architecture
- We prefer a Licensed Landscape Architect (California license preferred, but not required)
- Minimum of 5 years of post-graduate related professional experience, including project management, design, and detailing experience with an accomplished firm.
- Please email resume, cover letter, and portfolio/samples of relevant work in PDF format (up to 25MB, link to download if larger) to email@example.com.
- Include “Senior Designer” in the subject line.
- No phone calls, please.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org