Innovative Rainwater Management
StormWorks is an innovative fee-for-service program of the Nine Mile Run Watershed Association (NMR), located in Pittsburgh’s east end, designed to support the restoration and protection of the Nine Mile Run watershed by providing the highest quality sustainable stormwater management products and services possible, throughout Allegheny County. StormWorks offers property consultations, rain barrels, rain gardens, native landscapes, and other stormwater and sustainable landscape solutions. The awareness of and need for these solutions has never been greater, as our average annual rainfall increases, Consent Decree compliance progresses, and municipalities and authorities, including PWSA, begin to institute stormwater fees.
The StormWorks Design Manager develops, leads, and manages all StormWorks projects that utilize the StormWorks Field Crew as well as projects that involve outside consultants and contractors. The Design Manager utilizes their proven experience and high level of expertise in all phases of the project including: the initial client consultation, consultation reporting, and project estimating; all phases of the design process; proposal and budget management; and installation/construction management and oversight of the StormWorks Field Crew. This is an opportunity for a dynamic and creative individual to lead a unique program with a high degree of independence.
Bachelor’s Degree in Landscape Architecture, Landscape Contracting, or related degree and four (4) years of related experience in landscape design and construction. Experience designing and implementing rain gardens and green infrastructure projects is a must. An advanced degree in Landscape Architecture is preferred.
● Meet with potential clients while conducting stormwater property consultations.
● Develop project concepts and solutions based on initial property consultation.
● Plan, design, and manage the implementation of StormWorks design and green infrastructure projects.
● Prepare and manage budgets and project scopes for StormWorks design and maintenance projects.
● Collaborate with engineering and design professionals; seek opportunities for StormWorks to partner on teams for larger projects.
● Ensure compliance with approved design standards to provide quality design, and installation while maintaining safety on site and in future performance.
● Manage project installation and maintenance schedule.
● Manage StormWorks staff and interns.
● Continue StormWorks development of effective maintenance protocols for green infrastructure projects; train field staff and workforce development groups using these protocols.
● Lead presentations, tours, and workshops for municipalities, community members, partner organizations, and clients, discussing the environmental issues associated with stormwater runoff and invasive plants, while introducing the benefits of green infrastructure practices and native landscaping.
Requires Knowledge of:
● Design and construction techniques for green infrastructure, especially rain gardens and bioswales, as methods of stormwater control.
● Residential landscape design.
● Plant material suitable to the mid-Atlantic region and native species landscape design.
● Sustainable landscape construction, installation, and maintenance techniques.
● Regional stormwater policies and practices.
And Ability to:
● Transform design concepts to presentation quality drawings using creative problem-solving skills.
● Effectively communicate project vision to clients and StormWorks Field Crew.
● Use AutoCAD, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and hand-drawn graphics to produce quality client plans and designs.
● Manage client relationships and communication.
● Work collaboratively with Nine Mile Run staff and community partners.
● Spend time in the field in various weather conditions as needed, often working outside for long periods and overseeing and physically assisting with project installations.
Reporting: The Design Manager reports to the Executive Director. NMR and StormWorks management work collaboratively to accomplish the team’s goals.
Compensation: Range for this role is $50,000 to $60,000 depending on qualifications and depth of experience. Nine Mile Run/StormWorks offers a competitive complete benefits package. For an exceptional candidate, negotiation is possible. Please send salary requirements with application.
Other information: The Design Director will travel to client sites throughout Allegheny County. Access to reliable transportation is necessary as company trucks are frequently fully utilized for installations. Some evening and weekend hours may be required in order to perform consultations at a time suitable for the client.
Send resume, cover letter, and samples of design work to email@example.com. Rolling application until position is filled
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org