Website NYC Department of Parks & Recreation
NYC Parks is the steward of nearly 30,000 acres of land — 14 percent of New York City — including more than 5,000 individual properties ranging from Coney Island Beach and Central Park to community gardens and Greenstreets. We operate more than 800 athletic fields and nearly 1,000 playgrounds, 1,800 basketball courts, 550 tennis courts, 67 public pools, 51 recreational facilities, 15 nature centers, 14 golf courses, and 14 miles of beaches. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. www.nyc.gov/parks
• Under direction, plan, coordinate and direct the implementation of design and construction of large and/or complex landscape architectural capital projects.
• Manage multiple consultant landscape architectural design contracts for new and remodeled Parks facilities within an established schedule and budget.
• Lead scoping meetings with project stakeholders to identify project goals. Liaise with project stakeholders to keep them apprised of progress.
• Develop requests for proposals for landscape architectural services.
• Monitor the progress of consulting landscape architects to ensure designs are well-thought-out and balance the aesthetics, scope requirements and maintenance constraints. Utilizing AutoCAD and other software programs, review consultant submissions for completeness and compliance with agency goals such as high-quality design, sustainability and durability. Coordinate other professional reviews such as architectural design and engineering trades.
• Manage project milestones to ensure timely completion of work.
• Review designs with agency staff including landscape architects, engineers, construction staff and maintenance personnel.
• Present projects to other governmental agencies and departments, contractors and their representatives, consultants, community members and the general public as required.
• Ensure all necessary regulatory city, state and federal agency approvals are received prior to issuance of bid.
• Review and approve consultant payment requests. Coordinate with agency budget and accounting units to ensure efficient contract registration and payments.
• Monitor progress of construction, including consultant’s review and approval of shop drawings. Conduct occasional site inspections for quality assurance.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS (Job ID# 322760)
One year of full-time satisfactory experience in supervising employees performing project management work, such as planning, administering, managing, coordinating or expediting, on engineering and/or architectural and/or landscape architectural projects, or supervising a construction project with a value of $1,000,000 or more, and either:1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college in engineering, architecture, landscape architecture, business administration, or public administration, and one year of full-time satisfactory experience in project management work, such as planning, administering, managing, coordinating or expediting, for engineering and/or architectural and/or landscape architectural projects; or
2. A four year high school diploma or its educational equivalent and five years of experience as described in “1” above; or
3. A four year high school diploma or its educational equivalent plus any combination of college education and/or experience described in “1” above to make up equivalent of five years education and experience. One year of experience credit will be given for: (a) each 30 semester credits of college education leading to a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in engineering, architecture, business administration, or public administration; (b) a Masters degree from an accredited university in one of the disciplines described in “1” above; or (c) a valid New York State license as a Professional Engineer, Registered Architect or Registered Landscape Architect.
For placement into Assignment Level II, in addition to meeting the qualification requirements for Assignment Level I, candidates must have at least one additional year of experience as described in “1” above in a supervisory capacity or have served for at least one year as a project manager for a large and/or complex construction project.
Experience that is primarily of a design nature is not acceptable towards meeting the qualification requirements.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS (Job ID# 322761)
A valid New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect, and either
1. A Master’s degree in landscape architecture from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and three (3) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work; or
2. Four (4) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work.
NOTE: Current New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect must be maintained for the duration of your employment. SPECIAL NOTE: In addition to above qualification requirements, to be eligible for placement in Assignment Levels II and III, individuals must have at least one year within the last three years of experience as a major contributor or a project leader on a complex project requiring additional and specific expertise in the disciplines needed to design or construct the project.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
1. LEED certification or a strong knowledge of sustainable and universal design principles.
2. At least one year leading a multidisciplinary team of professionals or experience managing landscape architectural consultant contracts.
3. Demonstrated ability to manage multiple substantial landscape architectural projects and resolve design and contract issues.
4. Demonstrated ability to review and analyze landscape architectural construction documents.
5. Experience with public speaking and leading meetings.
6. Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
7. Driver license valid in New York State.
Salary: $75,000 – $88,000 Apply by: 3/2/2018
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
1) Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
2) Search for Job ID#: 322760 OR 322761
For details about NYC Parks go to www.nyc.gov/parks
NOTE: All resumes must be received no later than the last day of the posting period. References will be required upon request.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://www.nyc.gov/careers/search →