Website NYC Parks
Title: Deputy Director of Capital Estimating Unit
NYC Parks is an award-winning city agency that designs and builds public spaces for New Yorkers to connect, play and enjoy. These public spaces, representing 30,000 acres or 14% of the city’s land, encompass natural areas, parks, playgrounds, beaches, ballfields, basketball courts, athletic fields, and pools.
You will enjoy the camaraderie found at Parks while working for the public good. NYC Parks offers competitive pay and a generous benefits package that includes pension, excellent health benefits, competitive vacation/sick days and a healthy work-life balance.
The City of New York is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual’s sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
• Under general direction of the Assistant Commissioner of Landscape Architecture Program Management, with wide latitude for the exercise of independent judgment and initiative, manage a team of capital project estimators for the capital division’s Landscape Architecture portfolio of projects.
• Work independently to research market construction indicators including data collection for labor costs, materials and production timelines.
• Engage and collaborate with the landscape architecture program staff for the successful completion and timeliness of project cost estimates prepared by subordinates.
• Coordinate and assign staff as required to successfully complete job tasks on-time, per individual project defined schedules.
• Review and evaluate cost estimates prepared by staff capital project estimators and consultants for completeness and accuracy.
• Prepare reports and presentations as requested showing construction market cost trends and metrics of prepared estimates versus actual bid amounts.
A valid New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect, and either:
1. A Master’s degree in landscape architecture from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and three (3) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work; or
2. Four (4) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work.
1. Current New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect must be maintained for the duration of your employment.
2. Landscape Architects with out-of-state registration are welcome to apply provided that reciprocal New York State registration is obtained prior to hire.
3. To be eligible for placement in Assignment Level III, individuals must have at least one year within the last three years of experience as a major contributor or a project leader on a complex project requiring additional and specific expertise in the disciplines needed to design or construct the project.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements
1. At least three (3) years of experience as an estimator in the New York City site construction market or similar position.
2. In depth knowledge of research and data analysis methods.
3. Ability to accurately read construction documents and specifications.
4. A thorough understanding of prevailing wage laws and other applicable City procurement rules and regulations.
5. Experience with Sage-Timberline estimating software, Microsoft Suite, and AutoCAD.
6. Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
7. Driver license valid in New York State.
Vaccination Requirement: As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.
Work Location: Olmstead Center, Queens
How to Apply: Go to nyc.gov/careers/search and search for Job ID# 535757.
Parks & City Employees: Include your ERN on your cover letter.
References will be required upon request.
TELECOMMUNICATIONS DEVICE FOR THE DEAF: (212) 504-4115
To apply for this job please visit www.nyc.gov.