Website NYC Parks
Title: Design Director
NYC Parks is an award-winning city agency that designs, builds and preserves public spaces for New Yorkers to connect, play and enjoy. The Citywide Services division works directly with Parks Leadership and other City agencies, to assess, plan, design and implement reconstruction and improvement contracts. Through such partnerships Citywide Services leads the agency’s efforts towards greenhouse gas emission reduction.
NYC Parks offers competitive pay and a generous benefits package, including pension, excellent health benefits, competitive vacation/sick days and a healthy work-life balance. EOE.
· Under direction, with very great latitude for the exercise of independent judgment or action, manage the Citywide Services Capital in-house interdisciplinary in-house design team of approximately 6 architects, 4 engineers and 4 landscape architects, as well as support staff.
· Provide leadership to designers on major design goals, key decisions, contract preparation, changes and other issues.
· Monitor design process and progress to ensure code compliance and efficient, effective, quality design within budget.
· Assist in developing long-term financial needs and strategic plans for the reconstruction of Parks facilities and energy reduction goals.
· Produce and maintain accurate staffing plans for the unit; ensure project tracking databases are current and accurate.
· Prepare analyses for future projects, including cost estimates and conceptual designs.
· Present projects to other departments, commissions, consultants and community members.
· Sign and seal architectural and other official documents.
· Prepare status reports and presentations for Senior Management and recap issues requiring their input.
· Represent Parks at external meetings and reviews.
1. A valid New York State Registration as an Architect and four years of full-time architectural experience. A master’s degree in architecture from an accredited college will be accepted as equivalent to one year of full-time architectural experience. Registration must be maintained for the duration of your employment.
2. To be eligible for placement in Assignment Levels Ill, individuals must have at least one year within the last three years of experience as a major contributor or a project leader on a complex project requiring additional and specific expertise in the disciplines to design or construct the project.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
1. Knowledge and experience in sustainable design and/or LEED accreditation a plus.
2. Strong knowledge of NYC building code and ADA requirements.
3. 5 years or more managing a multidisciplinary team of professionals to produce complex architectural work.
4. Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
5. Driver license valid in New York State.
Salary: $110,000 – $118,000 plus excellent benefits.
Apply by 08/13/21
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
1) Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
2) Search for Job ID#: 468582
Work location: Randall’s Island, Manhattan
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
References will be required upon request.
To apply for this job please visit www.nyc.gov.