Website NYC Parks
Title: Landscape Architect for Forestry, Horticulture and Natural Resources
NYC Parks is an award-winning city agency that designs and builds public spaces for New Yorkers to connect, play and enjoy. These public spaces, representing 30,000 acres or 14% of the city’s land, encompass natural areas, parks, playgrounds, beaches, ballfields, basketball courts, athletic fields and pools.
The successful candidate has proven design experience and excellent project management skills. The ideal candidate is effective at visually and verbally communicating design ideas throughout the project process and is able to actively listen, balance and incorporate many viewpoints into the design. A team player and a champion of their portfolio, the successful candidate provides project-based oversight to junior staff and can troubleshoot and problem solve to realize projects.
NYC Parks is one of the country’s largest employers of landscape architects. You will enjoy the camaraderie found at Parks while working for the public good. NYC Parks offers competitive pay and a generous benefits package that includes pension, excellent health benefits, competitive vacation/sick days and a healthy work-life balance. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. www.nyc.gov/parks.
The mission of Forestry, Horticulture and Natural Resources (FHNR) is to protect, restore, expand and manage New York City’s natural spaces and green infrastructure to maximize their benefits and promote their value within and outside of the urban ecosystem.
· Serve as Senior Landscape Architect in the Green Infrastructure Unit on projects with design and technical complexity which have the potential to impact Agency Landscape Architectural operations and/or City infrastructure.
· Develop stormwater green infrastructure and other designs in parklands and street right-of-ways; prepare construction documents, and oversee construction of these features.
· Assign, supervise and review design and contract preparation performed by subordinate Landscape Architects on green infrastructure, ecological restoration and other and Forestry, Horticulture and Natural Resources capital projects.
· Manage multiple consultant design contracts for stormwater green infrastructure and other ecological restoration designs.
· Review drainage and engineering structures and coordinate closely with engineering staff and borough operations to help ensure function and feasible design development.
· Provide assistance and support to both superiors and subordinates, on landscape architectural and stormwater management design, permitting and construction issues.
· Present design plans to Deputy and Borough Commissioners, work with Capital Chiefs of Design and Construction, and provide information and solve design related problems.
A valid New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect, and either:
1. A Master’s degree in landscape architecture from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and three (3) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work; or
2. Four (4) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work.
NOTE: Current New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect must be maintained for the duration of your employment.
NOTE: Landscape Architects with out-of-state registration are welcome to apply provided that reciprocal New York State registration is obtained prior to hire.
NOTE: To be eligible for placement in Assignment Level II, individuals must have at least one year within the last three years of experience as a major contributor or a project leader on a complex project requiring additional and specific expertise in the disciplines needed to design or construct the project.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
1. At least 3 years’ experience in managing process, projects, contracts and design staff.
2. Experience with interdisciplinary coordination during design (Architecture, Engineering, Planning)
3. Knowledge of any/all of the following specialized disciplines: green infrastructure, sustainable design, urban forestry, horticulture, urban design, environmental science and engineering, stormwater permitting and compliance.
4. Computer literacy, including knowledge of Word, Excel, Adobe CS4, Access, CAD and GIS.
5. A commitment to teamwork and an integrated approach to project delivery.
6. Driver license valid in New York State.
Salary: $80,557 – $92,640 plus excellent benefits
Apply by 12/20/19*
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
1) Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
2) Search for Job ID#: 423831
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
References will be required upon request.
To apply for this job please visit www.nyc.gov.