Website NYC Parks & Recreation
Citywide Services Landscape Architect II
As the steward of more than 30,000 acres of parkland, the Department of Parks & Recreation (Parks) is a recognized leader and innovator of public spaces. Within the division of Citywide Technical Services, the Capital Team works in direct partnership with Parks leadership and other city agencies to assess, design and reconstruct facilities most in need of improvements. The Capital unit at Citywide Technical Services strives for design excellence to support the City’s sustainability goals. The selected candidate for the Landscape Architect II position will be responsible for execution of Landscape Architecture projects that support our goals. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. www.nyc.gov/parks.
• Under direction, serve as lead or independent designer for landscape architecture projects of advanced complexity and provide support on other design projects. Manage an interdisciplinary project team to ensure timely completion of work. Provide project-based oversight to junior staff on design projects.
• Investigate and recommend solutions to relevant problems of grading, spatial organization and site utilization. Prepare suitable graphics and presentations to communicate design intent. Present projects to other internal and external stakeholders.
• Using AutoCAD and other software, prepare and/or manage the preparation of contract drawings. Develop specifications, cost estimates and estimates of quantities for the proposed work.
• Review sites and designs with construction and maintenance personnel. Obtain all necessary approvals for proposed designs. Monitor progress of construction by reviewing and approving shop drawings. Conduct occasional site inspections for quality assurance.
A valid New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect, and either:
1. A Master’s degree in landscape architecture from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and three (3) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work; or
2. Four (4) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work.
NOTE: Current New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect must be maintained for the duration of your employment.
NOTE: Landscape Architects with out-of-state registration are welcome to apply provided that reciprocal New York State registration is obtained prior to hire.
NOTE: To be eligible for placement in Assignment Level II, individuals must have at least one year within the last three years of experience as a major contributor or a project leader on a complex project requiring additional and specific expertise in the disciplines needed to design or construct the project.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
1. Proven design ability in landscape architectural work.
2. Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
3. Knowledge of sustainability, resilience and universal design principles.
4. Portfolio demonstrates strong skills in AutoCAD, Photoshop, Illustrator and 3D Rendering (link on resume to digital portfolio preferred).
5. Adept at creating presentations in InDesign and PowerPoint. Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
6. At least one year leading a multidisciplinary team of professionals.
7. A driver license valid in New York State.
Salary: $80,000 – $90,000 plus excellent benefits
Apply by 06/28/2019*
All resumes must be received no later than the last day of the posting period. *Posting period extended to 06/28/19. Previous applicants to Job ID# 377107 are still under consideration and need not reapply.
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
1) Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
2) Search for Job ID#: 397377
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
References will be required upon request.
To apply for this job please visit www.nyc.gov.