SmithGroup is an award-winning, multinational integrated design firm with a team of 1,300 experts across 12 offices in the U.S. and China. We employ research, data, advanced technologies and design thinking to help clients solve their greatest challenges. Our specialists—from artists and engineers, to nurses, workplace strategists and beyond—develop beautiful, sustainable, future-focused solutions for healthcare providers, science and technology organizations, higher education and cultural institutions, urban environments, diverse workplaces, mixed-use and waterfront developments, and parks and open spaces.
The San Francisco office of SmithGroup is at a pivotal moment in building a team to support current and future efforts related to landscape architecture and urban placemaking. The current team is young, energetic, fun, passionate, and excited about the opportunity to expand SmithGroup’s presence nationally and regionally in landscape architecture, urban design, and master planning, with a primary focus on California and the West Coast. We are looking for an Junior Level Landscape Architect to join our growing team and help us shape and achieve our vision. As an integral part of the Landscape Design Studio, you will work closely with the Urban Design and Landscape Architecture team, along with the SmithGroup architecture and engineering teams to support the concept design and development of recently awarded projects. The San Francisco Landscape Design Studio’s portfolio and current projects include a broad range of urban-based, multidisciplinary public- and private-realm projects that include plazas, streetscapes, parks, waterfront, green infrastructure, and rooftop gardens, and master planning of civic centers, healthcare, university, and corporate campuses. We are seeking a talented individual that is committed to design excellence, thrives in an environment of collaboration, and who demonstrates a high degree of creativity and entrepreneurial spirit.
The ideal candidate demonstrates the following skills and/or traits:
- Collaborative and creative design thinker with proven design iteration and problem-seeking (and solving) skills with an ability to effectively meet demanding deadlines.
- Exceptional hand graphic skills and proficiency in the following: AutoCAD, Civil 3D, GIS, Rhino, Grasshopper, Sketch-up, and Lumion. An understanding of BIM and Revit are a bonus!
- Knowledge of grading, planting, and material design, as well as the technical aspects of landscape architecture.
- Fluency in the English language, with excellent verbal and written communication skills. Additional languages are a bonus!
- Working knowledge of the use of California plant palettes in preparing planting plans and landscape masterplans.
- Knowledge of sustainability, integrated design, water conservation, and LEED guidelines.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office.
Your required experience will include:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Landscape Architecture
- Minimum 2 – 4 years of professional experience through all phases of design
- LEED or SITES credential required within 12 months of employment
- Professional member of ASLA with a desire to become a registered landscape architect quickly
SmithGroup offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefit package, including 401(k) and continuing educational reimbursement. We offer 3 weeks of paid time off within the first year of employment, with the option of purchasing additional time off, and pay for 8 federal holidays. We also offer an alternative work schedule that provides employees with an additional 15 days off per year (usually Fridays) to help with work/life balance.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
SmithGroup is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or arrest/conviction records.
Instructions for applying – please click on the link below.
- Fill in the required information, and submit your cover letter, resume and portfolio link. Please include salary requirements in your cover letter.
To apply for this job please visit career4.successfactors.com.