SmithGroup is an award-winning, multinational integrated design firm with a team of 1,300 experts across 15 offices in the U.S. and China. We employ research, data, advanced technologies and design thinking to help clients solve their greatest challenges. Our specialists—from artists and engineers, to nurses, workplace strategists and beyond—develop beautiful, sustainable, future-focused solutions for healthcare providers, science and technology organizations, higher education and cultural institutions, urban environments, diverse workplaces, mixed-use and waterfront developments, and parks and open spaces.
The San Francisco office of SmithGroup is at a pivotal moment in building a team for the future of landscape architecture and urban placemaking. The current team is energetic, fun, passionate, and excited about the opportunity to expand SmithGroup’s presence both nationally and regionally in landscape architecture, urban design, and masterplanning, with a primary focus on California and the West Coast.
We are looking for a Landscape Architect to join our growing team. In collaboration with the Landscape Studio leadership, you will work closely with the rest of the SmithGroup architecture and engineering teams on the concept design and development of recently awarded projects. We are seeking a talented individual that is committed to design excellence, who thrives in an environment of collaboration, and who demonstrates a high degree of creativity and entrepreneurial spirit.
The San Francisco Landscape Studio portfolio and current work includes a broad range of urban-based, multidisciplinary public and private realm projects, such as plazas, streetscapes, parks, waterfront, green infrastructure, rooftop gardens, and masterplanning of civic centers, healthcare, university, and corporate campuses.
Working with us, you will:
- Prepare concepts, design development and graphic illustrations on projects.
Assist in preparing Construction Documentation.
- Work with senior landscape architects to compile data and prepare design solutions.
- Work in collaborative integrated teams of professionals that include civil engineers, coastal engineers, architects, building systems engineers, planners and environmental scientists.
- Consult with product manufacturers, evaluate and select construction materials.
Assist in editing technical specifications and reviewing shop drawings.
- Visit construction sites to gather information, review design intent, inform and support senior project team members during the construction phase.
- Use in depth knowledge of trees, shrubs, ground covers, perennials, and annuals in preparing planting plans and landscape master plans.
- Travel as needed for project work.
Your knowledge and skills will include:
- Collaborative and creative design thinker with proven design iteration and problem-seeking (and solving) skills, with an ability to effectively meet demanding deadlines and promote these skills and values within the studio.
- Proactive self-starter, with a positive attitude and ability to work under fast-paced and demanding conditions.
- Exceptionally organized, works independently and collaboratively, active team player, self-motivated, and has a proven ability to mentor and manage landscape design teammates.
- Exceptional hand graphic skills and proficiency in: AutoCAD, Civil 3D, GIS, Rhino, Grasshopper, Sketch-up, and Lumion. An understanding of BIM and Revit are a bonus!
- High level of proficiency in grading, planting, and material design, along with technical detailing of landscape architecture elements.
- Fluency in the English language, with excellent verbal and written communication skills. Additional languages are a bonus!
- Expansive knowledge of California plant palettes in preparing planting plans and landscape masterplans.
- Broad knowledge of sustainability, integrated design, water conservation, and LEED guidelines.
- Ability to absorb companywide document standards and implement within the team.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative and Microsoft Office suites.
Your required experience will include:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Landscape Architecture
- 10+ years of professional experience through all phases of design, including construction
- Experience in preparing design development and construction documents and specifications, with impeccable attention to detail
- Project management, including coordination with consultants, clients, and internally, coordinating the work plan to maintain the staffing, schedule, deliverables, and budget
- Experience in leading and conducting design work sessions, visioning, outreach, and public forums
- Excellent relationship-building skills with a focus on internal and external business development communication
- Experience in marketing efforts, including proposal writing/development, interview participation, and presenting, as well as fee negotiation
- Professional California Landscape Architect (if registered outside of California, a commitment of reciprocity will be required within 6 months of employment), and an active professional member of ASLA
- LEED-accredited professional (if not accredited, credential will be required within 12 months of employment)
Only candidates who meet these requirements will be considered.
Interested in joining us? Get started today by clicking the link:
SmithGroup offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefit package, including 401(k) and continuing educational reimbursement. We offer 3 weeks of paid time off within the first year of employment, with the option of purchasing additional time off, and pay for 8 federal holidays. We also offer an alternative work schedule that provides employees with an additional 15 days off per year (usually Fridays) to help with work/life balance.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
SmithGroupJJR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or arrest/conviction records.
To apply for this job please visit career4.successfactors.com.