The Mountain Planning /GIS Analyst role will work closely with the Director of Mountain Planning on the planning and design of resort improvements across the Colorado resorts and Enterprise-wide in North America. The Manager will perform a variety of technical tasks relative to GIS data collection and management. The Manager will assist with planning of capital projects, concept design, jurisdictional approvals and delivery of plans, reports and proposals. The Manager may also lead efforts to coordinate, oversee and manage the development, implementation, integration, operation and maintenance of various resort Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
- Support the Director of Planning and other planners as needed on various projects and initiatives as needed.
- Support the Director of Planning and other planners as needed and resorts when directed on approvals and liasions with various regulatory agencies and various 3rd party developers related to real estate projects in the resorts.
- Support the planning and projects team with flexible assignments as appropriate.
- Plan, direct and participate in the acquisition, administration, and operation of various Vail Resort’s geographic information system (GIS).
- Collect, import, integrate, update, and validate geographical and attribute data from multiple sources.
- Train and instruct employees and management to use the GIS application as appropriate.
- Provide graphic services including preparation and layout for a variety of reports, maps
- Perform geospatial and attribute data capture, editing and quality control.
- Serve as the GIS system administrator, ensuring that application software and hardware operates efficiently.
- Coordinate with groups involved in data sharing (Consultants, Planners, Jurisdictions)
- Have flexibility for weekday travel to various resorts owned by Vail Resorts to execute assigned projects, as necessary
- Support the team and work closely with appropriate governmental agencies/officials to gain required project approvals.
- Have ability to be a self-starter and work well both independently and in team environments
- Work closely with the various team members through the completion of each project and project related decisions as required or directed.
- Attend and contribute to project coordination and mountain operations meetings
- Prepare Construction Implementation Plans and Storm Water Management/Water Quality Plans and track compliance
- Assist resort operations in compliance with NEPA or applicable jurisdictional requirements and coordinate monitoring efforts
- Help to track resort progress toward the company’s Commitment to Zero initiative
- Support Planning team as appropriate when developing comprehensive design guidelines and resort/enterprise standards
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Advance degree preferred
Strong verbal and written communication skills as well as presentation skills
- Efficient and effective cartographic and graphic skills
- Working knowledge of ESRI ArcGIS software, AutoCAD, Adobe Suite and ability to interface between the different programs
- Understanding and technical ability to collect and manage utility data.
- Ability to obtain and manipulate spatial data
- Ability to manage multiple tasks with changing prioirties and present information in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all company departments, employees and management at all levels in the organization
- Working knowledge of National Environmental Policy Act
- Intermediate skiing/riding skills
- Ability to work outdoors in varying weather conditions and at high elevations
- Be open to adapting to new technology and methodologies
To apply for this job please visit jobs.vailresortscareers.com.