buildings can mimic trees!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Trace One
    Participant

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/opinion/sunday/seeing-the-building-for-the-trees.html?ref=opinion

another YAWN article, touting the amazing newness of architects, even though this idea is as old as the al Hambra, as all the gothic cathedrals of france, and done to much better effect,  I may add..

Look at that canopy in the picture..It is ultimately a huge sluglike form that does nothing for the space underneath, which is another vast architects flat emptyness, their favorite type of space around buildings..Good grief, don’t architects ever sit down outside, except in teeny groups under the metal bannisters of the single staircase? Compare this space to the Spanish Steps in Paris..

It is sad..and the critics seem so un-critical and unknowledgeable..No-one thinks in terms of history anymore!

and get off my lawn, while I am complaining!

ida
    Participant

Yeah the article is a bit of a yawn, but we’re designers, so we already know and sometimes over say that stuff. It’s the NY Times so the audience is the common person who may have no clue about any of this fancy arch talk. I would be disappointed if this article was in a respected journal.

I think the Metro station project in Spain is interesting, maybe out of scale, but at least there is a path on top where visitors can view city. Yes it’s quite an empty space below, but perhaps the client wanted the space to function for many people and large events. Empty space isn’t always a bad thing if there is a function for it.

It’s definitely bold in it’s context, so it should draw in the crowd and tourism $$$ for sure.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register