Does Our Profession Need a Union?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Does Our Profession Need a Union?

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    Rick Kingsbury
    Participant

I think the tone of this thread is indicative of the frustration many of us have with the profession at this time.  However it has gotten a bit out of hand.  Let us strive to remain constructive and  civil with each other.

mark foster
    Participant

I agree–behave!  Don’t make us stop this car….

Apart from the all too real grim realities of (un)employment out there, I just find the idea of an LA union kind of bizarre and funny–especially given the kind of people who are attracted to this profession.   Sort of like cats doing synchronized swimming.  (Caution: the following is intended to be humorous!) 

1.  At least you could recognize us on the picket lines–we would be overdressed and holding 3D signs.

2. I can hear the threads on Land8 now “which graphic program would be best for “Down with Johnson and Associates, Inc .” or “We need new chairs NOW”,  “LED screens or fight”, “Egonomics for All” etc. “70’s rock out of the workplace” etc…

3.  We would have very nicely done union halls–especially the site work. 

4.  I can picture the contract negotiations:

” WE DEMAND FREE HEALTH INSURANCE, AND FULL PENSIONS”. 

“You can have next Sunday off, Get back to work”,

“ok”

Anonymous
    Inactive

Land 8 Members:

I apologize for the hostile nature of my recent posts. I’m usually a lot more tolerant of other people’s points of view, but I just don’t have much patience for people who are negative.

I thought this site was for people interested in landscape architecture and who might want to make a living doing it. People that want to make it a better profession and support one another.

I just can’t see anything beneficial in someone that has nothing positive or constructive to say about landscape architecture continuing to be one and spreading bitterness on a social networking site for landscape architects.

The ills of landscape architecture are the same ills as society as a whole. The typical LA firm principal is not some boogieman whose sole purpose in life is to exploit his office staff. It’s a person who loves to design, build stuff, interact with plants, hang out on construction sites, have a beer every now and then, and probably drives a Subaru Forester. That doesn’t seem so diabolical to me.

Rick Kingsbury
    Participant

Or a MINI.  I firmly believe that landscape architects have a better feel for how people perceive outdoor space, how to  enrich the experience of being out of doors, have a better understanding of the negative space between buildings than any other profession. We are also more in touch with the nuances of space and how space is perceived, and used. we are generally more interested in the environment and have been sustainable long before  the other design professions took up the cry. (and unfortunatly the leadership in this)

We are however less prone to bring attention to our own work than say architects are, we need to be more visible as a profession, and dare I say it?  Proud of  what we do! Without our work, there would be a lot of sterile, “looks good in plan” outdoor spaces devoid of interest and out of scale with how people actually use and perceive space.

Let’s be more visible, more published, more letters to editors of design magazines (not just LAM, but other design magazines)

Nobody is going to support us but us.

David J. Chirico
    Participant

Maybe I was thinking about this all wrong:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/golf/116783973.html

Rick Kingsbury
    Participant

We should buy a golf course?

Anonymous
    Inactive

LOL…..Love it!

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you’re looking for “the Man” he’s probably not wearing Birkenstocks.

mark foster
    Participant

Ha!  Lee that is hilarious.!  I propose Brother Martin for union president!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Funny!

Vote with your feet, I did when I opened up my firm. I decided that I was no longer going to work as I was. I have striving to make my employees lives as good as they desire.  I started oout with $1,500 in my pocket and worked out of a 8×15 foot space for the first six months and that was 23 years ago.  Unions will only decide how much your shoulder must hurt before it becomes an issue for them.  Life is too short, this recession will end and there are a lot of opportunities out there for the fast and nimble to beat the slow old and set in their ways.  Option two start a blog that identifies the firms which don’t respect landscape architects and their well being.  I hate it when I interview individuals who were poorly trained by their past employers and believe that they are project manager tained. If the market knew which firms to avoid and the firms knew how they stacked you in the market place things would change.

mark foster
    Participant

Amen Gene.  How about those of us who started firms with the attitude that we would never treat employees the way we were treated?  I’ll bet there are a lot of us out there.

BZ Girl
    Participant

Are you hiring?? I want a boss like you!!!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here, here! After my last layoff, I decided to hang out my own shingle. I decided that I needed to have a little more control over my destiny.

As a project manager I vowed a long time ago that I would always be fair to my subordinates. I wouldn’t screw over an employee just like I wouldn’t screw over a Client. Eventually after you “do” enough people it catches up to you.

mark foster
    Participant

Sure, but I am Design Build– so you will need to have good graphic skills and a CDL!  Ha!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 92 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register