Website NYC Department of Parks & Recreation
Title: Landscape Architect I
NYC Parks is an award-winning city agency that designs and builds public spaces for New Yorkers to connect, play and enjoy. These public spaces, representing 30,000 acres or 14% of the city’s land, encompass natural areas, parks, playgrounds, beaches, ballfields, basketball courts, athletic fields and pools.
The Landscape Architecture unit in the Capital Division is the creative force that imagines and defines the aesthetics and usage of new and refurbished public spaces. These designs impact neighborhood growth, public health and fun in communities throughout the five boroughs of New York City. You will have the opportunity to work on a wide gamut of assignments from a local park refurbishment to a complete redesign of newly acquired properties.
The successful candidate has proven design experience and excellent project management skills. The ideal candidate is effective at visually and verbally communicating design ideas throughout the project process and is able to actively listen, balance and incorporate many viewpoints into the design. A team player and a champion of their portfolio, the successful candidate provides project-based oversight to junior staff and can troubleshoot and problem solve to realize projects.
NYC Parks is one of the country’s largest employers of landscape architects. You will enjoy the camaraderie found at Parks while working for the public good. NYC Parks offers competitive pay and a generous benefits package that includes pension, excellent health benefits, competitive vacation/sick days and a healthy work-life balance. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. www.nyc.gov/parks.
- Under general supervision, serve as lead designer for landscape architecture projects of appropriate complexity and provide support on other design projects. Manage an interdisciplinary project team to ensure timely completion of work. Provide project-based oversight to junior staff on design projects.
- Investigate and recommend solutions to relevant problems of grading, spatial organization and site utilization.
- Prepare suitable graphics and presentations to communicate design intent. Present projects to other internal and external stakeholders.
- Using AutoCAD and other software, prepare and/or manage the preparation of contract drawings.
- Develop specifications, cost estimates and estimates of quantities for the proposed work.
- Obtain all necessary approvals for proposed designs.
- Review sites and designs with construction and maintenance personnel. Monitor progress of construction by reviewing and approving shop drawings. Conduct occasional site inspections for quality assurance.
A valid New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect, and either:
1. A Master’s degree in landscape architecture from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and three (3) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work; or
2. Four (4) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work.
NOTE: Current New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect must be maintained for the duration of your employment.
NOTE: Landscape Architects with out-of-state registration are welcome to apply provided that reciprocal New York State registration is obtained prior to hire.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
1. Proven design ability in landscape architectural work.
2. Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
3. Knowledge of sustainability, resiliency and universal design principles.
4. Portfolio demonstrates strong skills in AutoCAD, Photoshop, Illustrator and 3D Rendering (link on resume to digital portfolio preferred).
5. Adept at creating presentations in InDesign and PowerPoint. Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
6. Driver license valid in New York State.
Salary: $68K – $76K plus excellent benefits
Apply by 4/12/19
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
1) Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
2) Search for Job ID#: 373966
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
References will be required upon request.
To apply for this job please visit a127-jobs.nyc.gov.