Website NYC Parks
Title: Consultant Project Manager
NYC Parks is an award-winning city agency that designs and builds public spaces for New Yorkers to connect, play and enjoy. These public spaces, representing 30,000 acres or 14% of the city’s land, encompass natural areas, parks, playgrounds, beaches, ballfields, basketball courts, athletic fields, and pools.
The Landscape Architecture unit in the Capital Division is the creative force that imagines and defines the aesthetics and usage of new and refurbished public spaces. These designs impact neighborhood growth, public health and fun in communities throughout the five boroughs of New York City. You will have the opportunity to manage a wide and complex portfolio of consultant designs from a local park refurbishment to a complete redesign of newly acquired properties.
The ideal candidates are collaborative in style and can effectively listen and balance many viewpoints and needs in a project. Working in a multi-disciplinary team setting with other city agencies and disciplines (e.g., engineers, architects, procurement), the successful candidates are champions of their portfolios and can troubleshoot and problem-solve to realize projects.
You will enjoy the camaraderie found at Parks while working for the public good. NYC Parks offers competitive pay and a generous benefits package that includes pension, excellent health benefits, competitive vacation/sick days and a healthy work-life balance.
The City of New York is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual’s sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
• Under direction, plan, coordinate and direct the implementation of design and construction of large and/or complex landscape architectural capital projects.
• Manage multiple consultant landscape architectural design contracts for new and remodeled Parks facilities within an established schedule and budget.
• Lead scoping meetings with project stakeholders to identify project goals. Liaise with project stakeholders to keep them apprised of progress.
• Develop requests for proposals for landscape architectural services.
• Monitor the progress of consulting landscape architects to ensure designs are well-thought-out and balance the aesthetics, scope requirements and maintenance constraints. Utilizing AutoCAD and other software programs, review consultant submissions for completeness and compliance with agency goals such as high-quality design, sustainability and durability. Coordinate other professional reviews such as architectural design and engineering trades.
• Manage project milestones to ensure timely completion of work.
• Review designs with agency staff including landscape architects, engineers, construction staff and maintenance personnel.
• Present projects to other governmental agencies and departments, contractors and their representatives, consultants, community members and the general public as required.
• Ensure all necessary regulatory city, state and federal agency approvals are received prior to issuance of bid.
• Review and approve consultant payment requests. Coordinate with agency budget and accounting units to ensure efficient contract registration and payments.
• Monitor progress of construction, including consultant’s review and approval of shop drawings. Conduct occasional site inspections for quality assurance.
A valid New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect, and either:
1. A Master’s degree in landscape architecture from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and three (3) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work; or
2. Four (4) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work.
1. Current New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect must be maintained for the duration of your employment.
2. Landscape Architects with out-of-state registration are welcome to apply provided that reciprocal New York State registration is obtained prior to hire.
3. To be eligible for placement in Assignment Level II, individuals must have at least one year within the last three years of experience as a major contributor or a project leader on a complex project requiring additional and specific expertise in the disciplines needed to design or construct the project.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements
1. Permanent city employees in a comparable title may be considered.
2. LEED certification or a strong knowledge of sustainable and universal design principles.
3. At least one year leading a multidisciplinary team of professionals or experience managing landscape architectural consultant contracts.
4. Demonstrated ability to manage multiple substantial landscape architectural projects and resolve design and contract issues.
5. Demonstrated ability to review and analyze landscape architectural construction documents.
6. Experience with public speaking and leading meetings.
7. Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
8. Driver license valid in New York State.
Vaccination Requirement: As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.
Salary: $80,557- $92,640
Work Location: Olmstead Center, Queens
How to Apply: Go to nyc.gov/careers/search and search for Job ID# 535783.
Parks & City Employees: Include your ERN on your cover letter.
References will be required upon request.
TELECOMMUNICATIONS DEVICE FOR THE DEAF: (212) 504-4115
To apply for this job please visit www.nyc.gov.