3D Programs – Which one should students know?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION 3D Programs – Which one should students know?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lana Merrill
    Participant

I’m curious to know what 3D programs I should be able to use professionally before graduation. A lot of firms use SketchUp and different plug-ins for that… But what plug-ins and what other programs would those in the LA world suggest? SketchUp, 3D Max, Maya, Rhino? Which one is best??

It might help if I say that I’m interested in urban design – not so much residential design.

For instance, what programs are used with this?

http://www.land8.net/blog/2011/08/16/james-corner-field-operations-designs-santa-monica%E2%80%99s-new-garden-park/

ida
    Participant

When I was in college I didn’t even know Rhino, or Maya existed. Hand graphics were encouraged and many of my colleagues and professors seemed a bit anti-technology. When I graduated a lot of firms I interviewed for asked if I knew any of the programs you mentioned…

My advice. learn and master all of them. After a few months with all the programs, you’ll know what program JCFO used.

David Barbarash
    Participant

That looks like either 3d Max or Rhino to me…

Lana Merrill
    Participant

What’s Corner?

Tosh K
    Participant

Depends on the scale and caliber of work: 

Rhino (VRay,Maxwell,Grasshopper), AutoCAD, Revit, Microstation.

I’d assume FO uses a fair amount of Rhino – look at Penn student work; or better yet their job postings in the past.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register