Advice on firms / work in North Bay, CA area

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Advice on firms / work in North Bay, CA area

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Emily Podolak
    Participant

Hi,

I am looking to relocate to the North Bay area of California and am looking for a landscape architecture position. I would consider working in San Francisco but would prefer to work north of the city. My experience has been in habitat restoration, public park design, residential design, and zoo design but am open to really anything. Any advice on firms in the area or networking opportunities would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I think most people will agree that the market is really tight right now. If you are looking for firms north of San Francisco, I have seen some postings for jobs in Sacramento like EDAW. Good luck!

Michelle Derviss
    Participant

Hello Emily,
    I work in Marin, Sonoma, Napa and occasionally The Sea Ranch. It is pathetically dead up here in regards to mid range to high end residential design. I don’t do much if any commercial work except for the occasionally winery.
    Work load for my small atelier is about 65 to 75 percent down from the boom years.
    The last firm that I heard was hiring was Blasen Design , a high end residential design firm located in San Anselmo.
    You might want to see what Pete Pederson or George Girvin has for openings or even EDAW in Sausalito.
    Good luck, it sucks out there now in regards to landscape design project works.

Wes Arola, RLA
    Participant

Wes- if you don’t mind me asking…what firm did you get the entry level job with in Santa Clara?

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

Hi Emily,

Glad to hear you are considering the Bay Area. It’s beautiful up here!

Some firms to look at in Marin County (North of SF) are:

April Philips Design Works
    SWA – Sausalito
    Blasen Landscape Architects
    RHAA
    Shades of Green

Blasen was just looking for an entry level candidate, so they might be a good place to start. Although, everyone is very slow right
    now. I would recommend approaching each firm for an informational interview/ office visit. Most firms like to show off their office plus they have more time to spend with you because of the slow times. It is a great (and easy) way to get your foot in the door.

Good luck!

Wes Arola, RLA
    Participant

For some reason I thought that was it! I interviewed with them…they do seem like a great firm! Best of luck!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register