Advice requested in regards to my resume beeing sent overseas

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums PORTFOLIO & RESUME Advice requested in regards to my resume beeing sent overseas

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Karolina Bober
    Participant

Hello,

Even though I would like to consider myself as an already experienced professional, I have problems with one thing, in which, I hope you guys can give me some feedback. I have been running my business for 7 years now with my partner and we were facing many difficult situation but in this one I’m a complete beginner. 

Here is the thing : I’m going to search for a job overseas for the first time in my life and preparing a good resume appeared to be a big pain. I wonder if you give me some advice here? I don’t want to overloaded my resume with information, but not sure which one will be the most important. My experience is mainly the projects I’ve done because my employment history is rather short. The education might be misleading too, outside LA (I have master degree), I have been studying interior design and space management and many, many other courses, but mainly because of my interests. I have a feeling that is just too much of that. 

We are getting resumes all the time but most of them are from Poland, so it is not a big help when it comes to searching for a different perspective and honestly, when we decide to hire someone we are checking mainly portfolio and when the person is lacking experience – mainly taste in design. The computer programs are considered too.

If anyone would like to spend a minute and drop me some advice that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Karo

Boilerplater
    Participant

Overseas as in the US or other countries?

Karolina Bober
    Participant

Australia.

Boilerplater
    Participant

I don’t think I can be of much help, but I think related design coursework should be included…anything that might be loosely relevant to LA work really.  Not sure that the Australian economy is all that much better, so there might be a lot of competition from those already having a lot of Aussie experience.

Ernst Glaeser
    Participant

Hi Karolina,

Australia is quit British influenced in this respect.

3 to 5 pages CV and a portfolio and cover letter. Your objectives (the position you are looking for) should be clear and the highlights in the CV should go that direction.

I wish you all the best, if you want to, you’ll be able to. Go for it. Got many friends who went there and are happy, have also friends who went – turned around – and left again, and some of my Australien friends work abroad. Whatever you do, and how you do it, reflects your real intent and that is being transmitted.

Good Luck for 2013

Ernst   

Karolina Bober
    Participant

Well, my choice wasn’t dependent on economy;) Here, in Poland, our company is in quite comfortable situation, but sometimes you just need to go and check how does it work on the other side of the planet. Have been traveling a bit, also to US and I really liked to get other perspective on things. 

Sure, I know that not working in Oz before doesn’t help, that’s why I want to prepare myself well. Thanks 🙂

Karolina Bober
    Participant

Hi Ernst, 

Thanks for response full of positives thoughts. I cannot agree more  that if you want to, you’ ll be able to. The best example is that we are working succesfully as a landscape architects, even though I would say that is an ‘extreme sport’ in Poland. I mean when you want to work with hard landscaping for public spaces. I already have applied for a visa so If I’m granted – I’m going:)

Thanks 🙂

David Curtis
    Participant

Karolina,

I worked for the Cardno Group in Queensland Australia for 3.5 years. Here is my advice;

1. Study the Immigration Policy for Australia – You need a “4 year 457 Skilled Migrant Visa” Know everything about it, Aussies like someone who solves problems on their own and Aussies have not a clue about Immigration Policy.

2. Know your Culture / know Aussie Culture. Similar to the US, Australia is a melting pot, although Aussies are passionate about the way they do things. Biggest compliment I received on a personal (not work) basis was ‘You are not bad for a Yank!” At the very least, you do not have to deal with “Polish Jokes” in Australia, although you will be required to drink beer at 4pm on Fridays, have 4 weeks paid holiday, 2.5 weeks off at Christmas and 10 days sick leave…and this is all on the very day you sign a contract, oh a by the way, you need to take Tuesday off because it is the Queens Holliday!

That is not all of the advise I have, although all I’d like to type on this fine day! Follow up if your would like more info…

Cheers,

David 

Karolina Bober
    Participant

Hey David, 

Thanks 🙂

I’ve already lodged my application for visa. I’ve noticed that every job opening is really open only for visa holders. But still few months to go, before I know if I’m granted. 

I think I can handle drinking beer as well as some “Polish Jokes”, although I’ve never heard any whilst traveling through US, at least not in my face;>  Specially when you are not english native speaker;)

Thanks!:))

Karo

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register