Amsterdam equivalent in North America

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums PLACES & SPACES Amsterdam equivalent in North America

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Lovering
    Participant

Hello All

After practising in a LA office for the last few years i have decided to go back to university to study for a Masters degree. There is a field trip organised to Amsterdam in October but we have other options available to us (a different city etc), financial restrictions mean i am looking around for other options so my question is:

Can any of you advise of a city in North America that would be rich in Landscape Architectural innovation/common practices etc. I know of the obvious ones (New York) and am looking for some options with regards to other cities.

Does anyone have any input on:

Chicago

Boston

Vancouver

Cheers

Tosh K
    Participant

Chicago – other than Millenium Park, not a whole heck of a lot going on there until you get back to FLO and Jensen.  The Botanical Garden is nice though.

Boston – lot’s of little stuff, pretty conservative though.

I’d suggest DC, SF, maybe Minneapolis or NOLA.

Stephen Lovering
    Participant

Thanks Tosh

I had heard there were things happening in SF, might contact a firm there to get a locals perspective!!

Cheers

Wes Arola, RLA
    Participant

pacific northwest. start in portland or eugene and work your way north

Stephen Lovering
    Participant

Thanks Wes

Any “tasters” of what i am to find there? How far up do you suggest i go? Much happening in Seattle?

Cheers

Denver, Colorado.

A few years back we had Mayor Wellington Webb, who was a great proponent of landscape architecture and made a great push for a green ring along the Platte. Northside Park, 16th street Mall, and historic Olmstead designs. Plus, it’s home to UCD’s Landscape Architecture department- an excellent resource for visiting students. Nearby is Boudler for a study of walkable Pearl Street, and the foothills of the Rockies, for a study of outstanding State and National Parks. And, unlike some of those larger Cities you mentioned, you can kind of see it all in just a couple days.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register