appling for Grad School: tips on putting together my portfolio??

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums EDUCATION appling for Grad School: tips on putting together my portfolio??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Sara Malmqvist
    Participant

I am busy putting together all the details for my Grad School application and would very much appreciate any thoughts and tips in regards to the creative portfolio. I think it would be very interesting to hear what all of you who have been through the process have learned, what you would have done differently, and tips and pointers etc.

Thanks ahead of time!

Anonymous
    Inactive

dont put any filler!

Cody Thurman
    Participant

Hi Sara, I’m currently getting applications ready, preparing to take the GRE, and putting together my portfolio. I’m hoping we can get some others to chime in with constructive ideas. I’m going to include both hand drawn plans, CAD drawings, and maybe some sketches. I would keep things consistent throughout your portfolio and I would make sure everything you put in has a purpose. Don’t include it, if it is not going to wow them/

Cody Thurman
    Participant

If you don’t mind me asking Sara, what schools are you applying to?

David Farber
    Participant

Your positivity is contagious…..

earthworker
    Participant

Agreed, these people (kids?) should really read the posts on this site before making such risky endeavor.

Sara Malmqvist
    Participant

First, Thanks everyone for your replys. Sorry I haven’t replied sooner. I have been out of the country.

Second, briefly, I will just say this. Everyones situation is completly different. Where we are coming from, where we are going, all incredibly case specific…I think it’s a real shame that you would try to discourage someone from persuing thier dreams without knowing anything about their background or situation. I started this post as a space for support, help, contructive tips and feedback in regards to creating a portfolio, let’s try to stay on topic here.

Sara Malmqvist
    Participant

Thanks for the reply! Would you be willing to elaborate a little about your comment. Tips on tailoring the content to coincide with your statement of purpose/essay for the institution that you are applying for??

Sara Malmqvist
    Participant

Hey Cody,

I am also hoping people wil get involved in helping out here. My situation is a little special as I am limited geographically to where my husband can work, so I will be applying to University of Washington, Berkeley, Rutgers, and City College of New York. What about you?

Sara Malmqvist
    Participant

Thanks so much for the fantastic link Cheryl! What a wealth of examples there! Yes, it looks as though these are portfolios of people who at least have a BLA. Really good references and inspiration. I am coming from a non LA background educationally (undergrad Psychology) but have had my own buisness as a Garden Designer for a couple years now. So my portfolio will obviously be slightly different from most examples shown. What kind of background do you have? Where are you applying?

Good luck to you too! Thanks for the great input

Cody Thurman
    Participant

I agree about everyone’s situation being different. There is currently still decent work where I am from however, with impending legislation, a degree in landscape architecture is needed. My degree in landscape design and construction will effectively become useless for those who want to mainly do design.

Cody Thurman
    Participant

I will be applying to LSU, FIU, UC-Denver, UWashington, UOregon, and University of New South Wales. I’m not limited geographically luckily. What ever school and city I feel the best connection with will be where I decide to move. If I don’t get in, I will transfer jobs to the city and live there a year or two and apply again.

Sara Malmqvist
    Participant

That’s really nice that you are in a more flexible situation. Sounds like a smart plan. Good luck finding the perfect fit!

Sara Malmqvist
    Participant

Yes, I too hope that the economy picks up. Even though I am in the States, and there are many schools that offer Landscape Architecture, I am also limited geographically. My husband has to be able to work and support us while I am in school, and that puts us in New York, San Fran, or Seattle. So therefore I am quite limited. Applying to UC Berkeley, Rutgers, City College of New York, and U Washington.

Cody Thurman
    Participant

thank you so much sara and good luck with your endeavors…keep us posted please

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register