ASLA– Relevant? or Exists only to sustain itself?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION ASLA– Relevant? or Exists only to sustain itself?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Zach Watson
    Participant

While I have have not been involved with the profession for long, and only in the last couple of years started to pay attention to ASLA, I would have to that I am pleased with the effort that I have seen from ASLA.  Of course I enjoy LAM, but they are working on developing the Sustainable Sites Initiative.  As stated before we now have Registration qualifications now in every state.  Also it appears to me that they are starting to look at science and attempting to find ways to bridge the gap between our profession and theirs, additionally I enjoy the ASLA awards that given out ever year because it gives me an opportunity to see the best of the profession and what type of work they are doing, it may not promote recognition to those outside of our profession but it does further our profession by bringing to our attention the best among us.

Personally, I think most people have problems with ASLA because they don’t see the influence in their own life and practice.  They don’t see the general public gaining a better understanding of our profession, they don’t see the profession advancing as fast as maybe some think it should be.  Each of us can complain about many things but I will say this, in regards to the recognition of our profession, don’t hold your breath.  There are many professions in the world that don’t get recognition that they should deserve that makes our life much better (Dirty Job with Mike Rowe).  Just because the public might put us in the same boat with a Landscape Contractor/Designer does not demean you, me, or anyone else, they are they trying to understand and put into context what we do. 

earthworker
    Participant

Just a quick note after visiting my state chapter’s website again.  I looked at the most recent local ASLA awards and found something strange..maybe?  At least 80%-90% of the firms that ‘won’ awards were the same 80%-90% of the firms that ‘sponsored’ the local chapter.  How is this not a complete conflict of interest for the state ASLA chapter in deciding who wins awards?  Has anyone noticed this in any other state chapters?  I think any reasonable outsider would look at the winners and look at the sponsors and have to question the legitimacy of the awards.  If I were a cynic,  I would say you can win awards by being a generous ‘sponsor’.

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

Our chapter sends the entries for our awards to another chapter outside of the region for judging. I know many other chapters do this as not to have any appearances of conflicts of interest, as many of the chapter’s leaders also work for firms that submit.

Zach Watson
    Participant

Worker, I would tend to agree with you about a conflict of interest but how many entries there are in a typical year? If there are 20 entries and more than half of them are from firms that are highly involved sponsors of the chapter then it would not be that surprising to have those firms be the award winners, but as Jason said it would be nice to know if all ASLA Chapters invite another chapter evaluate the project entries.

earthworker
    Participant

Thanks for that info, Jason.  I hope it is that way for every chapter.  Maybe you could fill me in on something as well……  I am disturbed by the recent trend of ASLA to hand out honor awards to non-American firms/entities in regards to landscape architecture.  It’s not that I am against foreign-designed works. It’s just a little confusing that the ‘American’ Society of Landscape Architects hands out their awards to non-American entities.  Are there no worthy works here in the States?  If they want to hand out awards to foreign projects then maybe they should create an International Society of LA’s.  Handing out awards to foreign bodies does not really promote the profession here at home.  Last year’s awards were dominated by foreign projects.  It will likely be the same this year.  Also, if international projects are so good and American projects are falling behind, why doesn’t ASLA address that issue or even mention it?   I thought ASLA had our back?

Christopher Patzke
    Participant

earthworker<

I agree with you sentiments.

BTW-There is an international organization:

http://www.iflaonline.org/

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

PS – If you are a member of ASLA, you are also a member of IFLA.

Frank Varro
    Participant

As far as I know this is practiced by all ASLA chapters.  And in terms of national, anyone who serves on the ASLA awards advisory committee has their firm ineligible for all awards while they serve, including public agencies.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

I’m not a member, but I don’t think it is irrelevant either. It is the biggest resource we and others have for information on the profession.

I don’t have expectations that it could or even should be what establishes my worth as a professional. It is either something that fits for you and is worth the money or it does not. Right now, it is not a priority for me, but I respect and understand that it is of that value to the many who do pay to be members (including those full members who ae not RLA’s that get to put ASLA after their names).

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register