Autocad 2011 – Where do I start?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums TECHNOLOGY Autocad 2011 – Where do I start?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Brett T. Long
    Participant

Hey Claudia,

I taught AutoCAD for several years and I know that it is very “big” software that can put engineers, architects and landscape architects on the same page in a design team.  I thought I was a wiz until I started teaching it.  Unfortunately, even the latest versions of AutoDesk AutoCAD require considerable trial and error.  Having a good foundation from course work will allow you to build your knowledge rather than running to the Help command for basic use.  We used to teach a weekend course for professionals that was the same price as some of the books.  If it is worth anything, I still feel pretty spastic when I work with my CS5.  Keep in mind that AutoCAD was conceived for drafting through a cartesian coordinate system while Photoshop is imaging. Don’t expect them to work the same and allow yourself time to become comfortable with the terminology and work space.  Try working exclusively in modle space before you get into the paper space tabs.  I told my students to think of the model space as the paper to draft on and the Paper Space as a picture frame.  Good luck.

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

Just get a job with major projects and tight deadlines. After a few months of 70 hr weeks you should have a solid, if rudimentary, understanding of AutoCAD…

I guess what I’m trying to say is that the best way to learn is to do.

Claudia Chalfa
    Participant

Hmmm…I already have a job, so if I am doing design work for the other 70 hours a week that I’m not at work, that still leaves me about 58 hours a week to sleep, divide that by 7 and that’s more than 8 a night…

That just might work! 

Claudia Chalfa
    Participant

I actually looked into a class at the local tech school, and decided it was too expensive but that is exactly how the instructor said he teaches it.  I think I will start that way too. 

Claudia Chalfa
    Participant

I ordered a book, the one they were using for the course at the local tech school, and I am going to try to do some of the bookwork on my own.  I work around a lot of engineers who can answer questions if I get stuck. 

Wish me luck, and thanks for all your advice!!  If anyone thinks of other good tips keep ’em coming, I will check back.

Claudia Chalfa
    Participant

I also found a website I really like:  http://www.we-r-here.com/cad/tutorials/level_1/1-1.htm

Pat S. Rosend
    Participant

Good points. I think having knowledge and experience drafting is a better use in learning what Autocad can do for you and how you should use it.

Pat S. Rosend
    Participant

I just hope that after you learn Autocad, you don’t get hired by a Microstation shop. (surprise!)

Wes Arola, RLA
    Participant

I taught myself by drafting old projects I had drafted by hand. you can then take those cad drawings and bring them into sketchup. great way to build/update your portfolio, and you will learn cad as you do so.

Wyatt Thompson, PLA
    Participant

+1

This is a great suggestion! My office recently forced a company-wide upgrade to Autocad 2011. Some people were still using 2008. I can’t believe the number of times I’ve had to go show someone how to get their toolbars back so they can click on a button to draw a polyline or fillet an edge. The first time someone asked me to help them find a toolbar I had to Google it because I use keyboard shortcuts for almost everything. Too many toolbars cluttering the screen can make the whole cad experience overwhelming.

Wyatt Thompson, PLA
    Participant

Do any landscape architects use Microstation? I work in an engineering office and we use it for transportation projects because our DOT requires it, but none of the LA projects use it.

Pat S. Rosend
    Participant

My experience was the same. MicroStation for DOT projects. That included the landscape plans.

Claudia Chalfa
    Participant

Really good idea, thanks Wes.

Claudia Chalfa
    Participant

Ach well, I’ll cross that bridge if I come to it!

Claudia Chalfa
    Participant

I really can’t say enough nice things about this free tutorial.  I have only been working on it for a week and already I know all the basic commands.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register