AutoCAD in Irrigation Design

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums TECHNOLOGY AutoCAD in Irrigation Design

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Chuck Milstead
    Participant

Does anyone use AutoCad or AutoCAD LT for there irrigation design?

nca
    Participant

I worked in autocad when I did red line edits for the irrigation designers at edaw in fort collins. I think they all used vanilla autocad with some custom symbols/tags.

Chuck Milstead
    Participant

I just got AutoCAD LT. Is there any add on programs with irrigation symbols or do you know if I will have to create my own custom symbol library? I know you can run Raincad over AutoCAD (not sure about LT) but Raincad is over $1000 and money is an issue.
    Thanks,
    Chuck

nca
    Participant

Hmm..

Just of the top of my head I could tell you that there are website resources like cben.net (cad block exchange network) which offer free cad symbols and blocks. There are a couple of those sites. That’s about the best I can come up with at the moment.

Good Luck..

Dominic Esser
    Participant

Hey Chuck,
    I have done all of my irrigation design in Autocad. Like Nick has said, you can look online and im sure you can find plenty of symbols. I have myself made rotor symbols using symbols from online and the symbols that our office had allready made, plus gathering the spray radi’. Our office came up with some pretty simple designs, which ended up being very useful and easy to read on plans. If you want I can send you some irrigation design legends to give you some ideas.
    Let me know,
    Dominic

Steve Roberts
    Participant

Sorry Chuck to the best of my knowledge there isn’t any third party software for AutoCAD LT. You should have purchased a program called BricsCad. Land FX will run over BricsCad and AutoCAD. Also if you get on Hunters website they have some irrigation symbols inside a drawing called legend.dwg that you can download.

Chuck Milstead
    Participant

Dominic,

I would like very much to see some of your legends.

Thanks,
    Chuck

Chuck Milstead
    Participant

I just recieved my copy of LT. I have not yet loaded the software or opened the package so I can still return it. Would I better advised to get a differant irrigation design program? I do expect that I will use it for drafting/design other than irrigation at some point and compatibility with DWG and AutoCad is a priority. I do not for see needing 3D capability, thats why I went with LT rather than full AutoCAD. Any pointers or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chuck

Bob Luther
    Participant

I used AutoCAD for about 5 years before I got LandFX… AutoCad is great if you have a good symbol library but LandFX is absolutely incredible for irrigation! The best thing to do if you don’t have a symbol library is to start simple make blocks with a ceter symbol and on a second non-plot layer draw the radus and then repeat process for about 60 symbols (5′ radius (full, half, quarter), 8′ radius (full half, quarter) , 10′ radius (full, three quarters, two-thirds, half, third, quarter) etc you can see how this can add up!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I use Eagle Point with AutoCAD. When I reviewed it and other programs 3 years ago it was not compatible with LT. I think the sprinkler data base is helpful and speeds along the design process, but you could probably get by with LT if you take the time to create an extensive enough list of blocks.

All the irrigation design software I am aware of will allow you a trial version. Three years ago AutoCAD also had a 30-day trial version. If I were you, I would get the trial versions and see what you think.

Chuck Milstead
    Participant

David I looked at some of your other posts and there is no doubt you are a fan of LandFX however I am committed to LT at this point…money is spent and its a done deal. I did speak to two LAs localy that both use AutoCad for all there work and they both use only 2D. From our conversation I feel prety good about my purchase. I will have to create symbol blocks but I have the time to do that. It is true LT wont “help” me design a system but I have beed a CID for years so I am comfortable with design. A good deal of my work will be doing “as-builts” from existing AutoCad designs as well as designs from the ground up so compatibility with Autocad is mandatory.
    Thanks to everyone for your feed back.
    Chuck

prakash joshi
    Participant

i works in autocad, raincad for irrigation designs.in fact i have done all of my irrigation design in Autocad.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register