basalt wall rock suppliers?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    nca
    Participant

Anyone have a good stateside resource for basalt wall stone, preferably  leegestone type and midwest, west coast colorado region.

Im finding dimensional basalt but its all in china…anyone have experience ordering stone from china?

How about some basalt wall precedents?

Thx

Tanya Olson
    Participant

You could just buy your own quarry!

http://www.businessbroker.net/business-for-sale/westover-rock-granite-quarry-two-harbors-minnesota/292345.aspx#

Whats so great about basalt? If you don’t want red Colorado stone, you could try slate from here in the Black Hills – check out Dakota Stone in Hill City, SD http://www.dakotastone.net/ledge_building Its easy to build with and makes nice tight joints….

nca
    Participant

closest to dark grey im finding is a kansas sandstone, but its expensive with a dimensional cut, flame finish and all..Ironicallt basalt tile from china is hlaf the price of the kansas sandstone and can be cut to virtually any dimension and number of finishes. I need basalt because its for the town of basalt, so in this case the stone is significant.

nca
    Participant

also ironic that i cant find basalt in basalt.

Mark Di Lucido
    Participant

Lots of basalt around Flagstaff (Malpais & olivine basalt lava) but I don’t know any landscape supply companies that stock it.

Amanda Bednarz
    Participant

When I was doing landscaping in Eugene, OR we would get all our wall basalt through Lane Forest Products http://laneforestproducts.com/products/index.php?product_id=280

There are also direct quarries in the area but I can’t recall their names

nca
    Participant

thanks amanda, thats helpful. I have come across a few suppliers in the northwest, mainly for full columns or irregular wall rock. I have found some local suppliers for dimensional basalt but they are shipping it from china.

Miles Barnard
    Participant

How about Yellow Mountain Stone?

Andrew Spiering
    Participant
    Tosh K
    Participant

Depends on how it’s shipped: one project the supplier had the product shipped to them for quality control before shipping to project site (quality/consistency of finish was not great), another we had directly shipped from port to project site (good finish).  note that shipping times can vary depending on weather/season/port availability.  If a stateside supplier is supplying it, most of the hassle is out of your hands; if they’re shipping to project site, the scheduling can be more of an issue as it’s not reliable.

Shipping stones had a couple of hangups – one loading time on the China end (hard to get tracking info); then there’s port inspection, depending on how busy the port is and what they handle the processing/wait time can differ (they usually steam/fume the pallets to kill off the bugs -asian long-horned and ash borers came into some ports in pallet wood?-).  It also can affect overland shipping distances if the ports closest won’t/don’t handle your shipment too.

nca
    Participant

Wow, great info..thanks!

As of now this is only a small project requiring just about 200 face feet of stone, but may turn into a larger endeavor. 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register