Best practice for Using professional work samples (graphics in student portfolio)

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE Best practice for Using professional work samples (graphics in student portfolio)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    nca
    Participant

This may be a no-brainer, but what would some of you (more seasoned pros) out there recommend as best practice for using graphics you created derived from projects completed in a professional office? Is it kosher to assume there is no problem using graphics I generated for given projects in my portfolio so long as an supporting material regarding the project is given due credit to the office under which the work was completed? Or is it best to ask permission? I imagine I should probably ask permission, but is this a typical question? How touchy of a subject could this be?

For example, I have ALOT of graphics and photos of models, etc as well as built work photos form my last intern/student employee experience. In getting ready to compile my work I realize I would like to show these graphics…some are from somewhat higher profile projects…What is the best way to include these grpahics without stepping on toes or burning bridges?

Thanks

Joshua K
    Participant

You need permission. If you were an unpaid intern, any firm should be more than willing to let you show the work you completed there to land a position. But you may be stepping on toes especially if you are using work you completed by being paid by one company to get a job with another. There is also the issue of confidentiality- some project work may not be able to be shared legally until well after the job is complete. Never hurts to ask, and if they deny you the use of the work you completed for selfish reasons and not legal, it’s your right to stomp them toes.

nca
    Participant

Right…Pretty much all of my professional work done while in school just happened to be that..ie not unpaid internships, but “landscape designer” or part/full time employee positions. They were basically regular positions and all were paid. Anyway, I wonder how this works with regular salaried employees who are laid off? I saw a bunch of portfolios from associate level people this summer and fall who used work all the way through CD’s in their portfolio. Many of them we could not tell what they did or what someone else in the office may have done, although many of those people also were claiming project management responisibilities on those projects, so that may be different.

I wouldn’t think it would be a big deal for a student working at a local firm finishing their last year with plans to move to ask to use the graphics they (I) generated…I have a feeling it’s just a simple matter of asking..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register