best type of ornamental grass for urban park (around 3′ ht.)

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums PLANTS & HORTICULTURE best type of ornamental grass for urban park (around 3′ ht.)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Frank G
    Participant

dwarf maiden grass (yaku jima or adagio) is a favorite, but was wondering if you all had any other favorites

Justin Jackson, RLA
    Participant

the muhlenbergia varieties work well in masses, particularly m. capillaris.

Bill Wilber
    Participant

Frank,
    The Adagio Miscanthus you mentioned is a great selection, I am not as familiar with ‘Yaku Jima’. But if your looking for alternatives, try Pennisetum (a.k.a. Fountain Grass) and a smaller variety is known as ‘Hameln’. Or, Calamagrostis x ‘Karl Foerster’ a more upright selection.

Check out Greanleaf Nurseries website’s product search (http://www.greenleafnursery.com/search.asp). They have pictures and detailed info. about many plants and they have superb quality if your looking to order.

Stay Creative,
    Bill

Luqman
    Participant

if we use ornamental grass in urban park, will it increase the maintenance cost?

Luqman
    Participant

warm season grasses that have been using in park for covering the earth surface, can it be called ornamnetal plant? or can it be transformed as ornamental plant…with the help of other landscape element..

I would like to know what are the criterias of ornamental plant…?

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

Not to my knowledge. It may even reduce the cost as they tend to be low maintenance and require minimal water (some species). Also, I understand that most ornamental grasses only need to be cut back once a year.

Calamagrostis x ‘Karl Foerster’ looks great, but can get quite tall in some cases.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register