BLA or Associates

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jacob Collins
    Participant

Hi every one.  I’m stuck and would appreciate any input. I’m currently attending a community college to obtain my general ed. requirements for transfer, and the school has an Associates degree in Landscape Architecture. In your opinion, is it better to pursue a BLA  or an Associates in LA.  I understand that they will both eventually lead to becoming a certified LA but am unsure of which to work towards and where to put my efforts.  What are the pros and cons of each.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I see the merit in obtaining the Bachelors but am concerned about the cost involved. Can an Associates hinder me in the profession in the long run? Are job prospects limited without a BLA? Has anybody gone the apprenticeship route and gone on to greater success or has it held you back? Thank you in advance for reading and posting.  Take care.

ida
    Participant

I never knew there was a such thing as an associates degree in LA! Anyway, all the employment ads I’ve seen requires someone with a BLA or MLA degree from an accredited university. So go with the BLA

Leslie B Wagle
    Participant

I brought this up a few months ago when I heard of my first one. I think it is a misnomer and misleading students, and don’t see how it could be that beneficial unless a 4-year school coordinated to accept some transfer credits. But then someone answered that one he knew was headed by a licensed LA, so that might help although it still would be risky I think to assume that it would “lead to licensing.” Jacob seems to have investigated this, but needs to check on what his state board (and especially others if he has to move) will require. If you can only sit for the exam after a load of extra required work-years, the question becomes whether you could even qualify for a position that would give you acceptable (to the board) work years. Just being a draftsman probably would not. 

Jacob, find out what other grads of the program are doing. It may be fine if you want to design within another environment, or start you own design-build business. But it could be along road to work in a demanding pure-design office or any level of government.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

Jacob,

It appears that an Associates Degree in Landscape Architecture in California is the equivalent of one year work experience.

Here is California’s requirements:

http://www.asla.org/uploadedFiles/CMS/Government_Affairs/State_Goverment_Affairs_and_Licensure/State_Documents/California2013.pdf

Here is the list of Accredited LA degrees:

http://www.asla.org/FullListofAccreditedPrograms.aspx

Jacob Collins
    Participant

Thank you Ida.  I have noticed this also.

Jacob Collins
    Participant

That’s a good point Leslie about checking on past grads of the program. I’m changing careers at 35 and had reservations about a 4-year college.  I would be hitting the bottom of the ladder at 40 and licensed at 41 or 42.  I guess the Associates seemed like the easy road to get back to an income.  I need to research a little more.

Jacob Collins
    Participant

Thank you for the links Andrew.  Much appreciated. The info in the California requirements is great.

Jordan Lockman
    Participant
    Jacob Collins
    Participant

Thanks Jordan. Great insight. I talked to my instructor about who has gone on to get licensed and was told no one that she knows of. The Associates is geared towards those who have the work experience without the education to obtain licensure. I guess a top down, reverse approach to becoming licensed. Thank you for answering my question everyone. I appreciate it very much. I can now say that Cal Poly Pomona is in my future and the Associates degree is no longer being considered.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register