Brazil?!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Ellis Cucksey
    Participant

Hey Bob,

Tell you what: you make the decisions that you feel are best for you and your family, and I’ll do the same for myself and mine.
    Failing that, piss off. Plus everything Craig says.

Sincerely,

Ellis

Roland Beinert
    Participant

Hmmm…Think I’ll stay out of this one.

Gabino Carballo
    Participant

“Every time I flush the toilet or buy anything I leave my mark.”

Try a brush. uh?

Gabino Carballo
    Participant

Don’t qualify people trying to make a living. Ok? It’s not fair

Go and berate some rich boy in Wall Street or whatever, they are shafting the planet big time with their push for big war and cheap oil to keep their Learjets in tip-top form.

Try one of those if you dare, then come back and we’ll nurse your wounds.

LandArch bizz is tough as it is without moralistic claptrap.

Roland Beinert
    Participant

What’s the equivalent of the Landscape Architect Registration Exam in Europe? Does it differ for each country? I was looking at an ad for a job in London that said “CMLI landscape architects”. Any idea what CMLI is? Is that their equivalent of being a registered landscape architect here?

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

I don’t know if this is still true or not, but a British collegue of mine a number of years ago had stated that American educated LAs are very desireable in the UK because of the slightly different education structure and base education. I’m not thinking their economy is any better than ours, but at least they are not tied to the Euro, soon to be worth less than monopoly money.  

Roland Beinert
    Participant

Any idea how the education is different?

The only language I know other than English is German, but I’m terrible at it. The grammar always confuses me. I suppose it’s time to practice it and try to learn a few more.

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

I had to Google it because I forgot the details. The CMLI is akin to the US’s CLARB. They set the educational standards and govern the licensing in the UK. According to Google, they require secondary professional education (like a Masters) and a 7 year apprenticeship. Wow. We have it easy over here (and it just keeps getting easier). From what I understood, the way they teach LA is different. We have first professional degrees..they don’t. Also, what is taught was different, with ours being more comprehensive and more thorough, and it is more like an apprenticeship. I wonder if having a US license would be transferrable over there? Again, I could be wrong, but this is what I heard from two brits (one of whom was in the US to get an LA degree). Maybe I should check it out; I kinda speak the language (the slang is very intersting), I can tolerate the food, the beer is good, and I love TopGear.

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

I mean to say the UK is more like an apprenticeship, where the US is more like a regular college degree with a lot of “filler”. From what else I remember, the UK is very hort-heavy. The US…not so much.

Trace One
    Participant

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2012/06/08/technology/08reuters-facebook-brazil.html?hp

this may interest you, Roland..Maybe this is the kind of stuff your dad is reading. Or maybe he is just interested in the ‘landscape’ – sounds like a lot of the beaches have some very  nice scenery. Kidding!

Gabino Carballo
    Participant
    Gabino Carballo
    Participant

Hola,
    There is no equivalent to LARE in Europe.

Each country has its own system. The main difference between countries is whether a profession is regulated, simply recognised or does not exist as such and it is therefore illegal to work under that professional title.

“Regulated Profession” means that it enjoys official status and the professional title is protected by law. Professional Organisations carry some weight or are entirely official, or even part of the country constitutional structure.

Landscape Architecture is regulated in 5 countries in the EU: UK, Germany, Netherlands, Italy and Czech Republic.

“Recognised profession” means that the professional title is official at academic level but professional practice is not regulated by law and lacks a defined professional remit. Professional association are not strictly speaking “official”, ie: their views carry no weight. This includes France and Portugal, for instance.

In some countries, Landscape Architecture does not exist as a profession, only as an economic activity. This means that the academic titles hold no value (ie: you study for 5 years but it counts as if you have never gone to university), you cannot legally practice under that title and you cannot enter official contracts, tender for work and or lead competition entries. You work in a kind of parallel market (virtually a black Market).

Spain is a good example: any projects you see coming from Spain are produced by qualified architects. They present themselves as Landscape Architects, but they are not. They cannot convert their qualifications easily into to Landscape Architecture ones, and neither can you convert any qualifications in landscape Architecture to theirs.

They employ Landscape Architects when it suits them, of course.

EFLA is largely a fiction. It carries no weight, it is not anything official or recognised in Europe and recognition by EFLA amounts to nothing. Very much like IFLA, it is a travelling agency for academics and various event organisers, that collect money from national professional associations in exchange for “recognition”.

The “recognition” systems is very much a way of collecting money for a few smart guys that present themselves as interested in Landscape Architecture, but that couldn’t care less. It does not guarantee anything, or recognise anything. The fact that EFLA recognises you carries no weight with states and governments.

It is just marketing and a way to make money for a few people who like having it large and travelling through Europe. They do ensure that their friends win all the competitions. EFLA is very good at keeping large amounts of people out of work, and a few very busy.

If you want to know about the situation of Landscape Architecture in Europe, the reality is closer to this two questions posed recently at the EU Parliament by:

MR MARC TARABELLA FROM BELGIUM
    MRS ANA MIRANDA FROM SPAIN

They have asked these questions prompted by this initiative (you will find several languages here):

http://elmanifiestodelospaisajistas.wordpress.com/

This is the Landscape Architect’s Manifesto. We started it because we are tired of the absurd discrimination we are subjected to by governments, and other professions, specially Architecture and also (to a lesser extend) by engineers. ANd by EFLA too.

EFLA is desperate to keep this initiative quiet and is censoring and erasing out all the news about it in the Landscape World. We have been told that the manifesto “interferes” with their interests, (ie: a few nations keeping a little monopoly on the profession, not liking people from the south of Europe enjoying their privileges, etc. Pretty disgusting)

If you want to know what is happening in Brazil, this is the government web page for the Law being passed about Landscape Architecture recognition. Portuguese only.

http://www.camara.gov.br/proposicoesWeb/fichadetramitacao?idProposi…

Architects are opposing this law with all their might. Nice one, uh?

Portuguese is a nice language and it would be very useful in Africa too. It is not far from Spanish, so you get two for the prize of one (does not work the other way around, curiously)

There is a lot of BS out there regarding info on European Landscape Architecture, particularly from IFLA and EFLA. Beware of these guys, they are only after your money. They want you to travel here, study a expensive Master or Degree and then see you off with a nice smile.

They do not like when you ask questions.

Remember this much.

Gabino Carballo
    Participant

Landscape Architecture is not regulated in Portugal.

If it is, I would like to see the law regulating it. Can you post the specific law please?

You can understand Spanish if you learn Portuguese because the Spanish phonetics are simpler and harder and grammar is also slightly simpler.

If you speak Spanish you will find difficult understanding Portuguese for the opposite reasons: phonetics are a bit more complex and grammar a little bit more complicated.

There is a steeper learning curve involved. Quite simple, really.

Roland Beinert
    Participant

I didn’t know about any of that, Gabino. I suppose we have it (relatively) good here in the US, mainly because of Olmsted’s name power. I wonder if the ASLA could lend their support in some way. I once got them to join a group calling for presidential candidates to debate science issues, so I know someone in the organization must be paying attention.

Gabino Carballo
    Participant

There must be a problem with communication that I am not quite understanding here.

Firstly, I am sure that you have saved any number of laws in your hard drive. Fantastic. Quite simply.

The problem is that nobody else seems to have those laws that you have and we would be delighted to have a reference, a number, a date, so we can all find out where they are and what they say.

We cannot write to the European Commissioner to say: “look, there is this law in Portugal that Joaquim keeps in a draw”

I am afraid that it does not work like that. So please do let me know where we can find this law, and what law it is that you are referring too.

As for difficulty learning language, I think I said that Spanish Speaking People have a greater difficulty understanding Portuguese than the other way round.

Spanish speaking people have a certain difficulty learning other language because our phonetics are very simple, and there are lots of sounds that we cannot differentiate.

This is not case for Portuguese speakers.

I hope that I made myself understood this time.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register