Bringing work into a firm

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Lovering
    Participant

Hello fellow landscape professionals.

I have fairly recently been taken on by a LA firm in calgary and although they have lots of work i have decided i would like to contribute to their workload and bring in my own clients/workload.

Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to do this/people to go after etc!!!

I am very well versed in a sales environment, just need to know which areas of the profession to hit in order to do this. I have thought about playground design etc as an area as this is something i have done alot of research into but that area seems to be saturated in the calgary area!!!

Any help you can offer would be appreciated

Thanks Steve

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

It sounds like this is something you are doing on your own. This is one business that the mantra “no lead is a bad lead” or “no sale is a bad sale” does not apply. Have you asked the firm if it is alright for you to do this and what types of work and what areas of the market they want to work in?

Stephen Lovering
    Participant

Hey Andrew

No i didnt ask the firm but have now and the answer is a cautious one on the side of what work to look for. The principle has his ideas on what sort of work he wants and has a firm understanding of the workload to staffing ratio, he wants the workload to be manageable!!

Appreciate the feedback, you are “bang on” with this one. I guess a little more experience would have told me that!!

Thanks

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

It is a good quality to want to help the office move forward and that should be appreciated. This might be a good thing because these things are not often discussed and it might make your boss aware of the idea of keeping people informed on the mission of the office which will help you and the others work for that end. And you get a broader understanding of the particular business you are working in whichich is a great experience whether or not it is the best business model for you.

So many of us are left in the dark which really slows down our advancement both for our long term careers and for the shorter term performance at any particular job.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register