BSLA – Going for a Masters

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums EDUCATION BSLA – Going for a Masters

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    lukad
    Participant

Hi all,

I was wondering what your thoughts were on going back to school for a masters. I currently have my BSLA and I work at an urban design firm in Philadelphia, so I’ve gotten a taste of what landscape architects, urban planners, and urban designers do on a daily basis. I like architecture, but I don’t think I would like to get my masters in it. I was thinking about going back for my MLA, and doing a focus in urban design or something of the sort. I would love to teach LA on the side one day, so a MLA with a focus seems to be the best route for me. Additionally, I’ve been looking at schools whose program, faculty, and “design philosophy” differ from the one I attended for my BSLA so I don’t waste my time repeating what I’ve already done. Though I value all of your opinions, I would love to hear from any LA’s who have a bachelors and a masters in LA. Thanks!

lukad
    Participant

I haven’t done any update to my folio, but I’m currently working full time at a firm (the one I interned at) made up of registered planners and architects, and 1 or 2 unregistered LA’s. I was hoping grad school would act as a means to not only go beyond what I learned in my BSLA, but also act as a means to reinsert myself into the field when things start to pick up again.

Judging from what I’ve seen with planning, architecture, and landscape architecture so far, I find myself still more interested in site specific design treatments rather than the large scale design that planning implies. Additionally, I’m no fan of codes, and have dealt with form based codes on a daily basis. Perhaps I’ll go for my M.Arch then, though I’m not convinced it’s the right path for me. My interests in LA involves anything relative to the urban context, so perhaps M.Arch is what’s best.

lukad
    Participant

My apologies, though I find the hostility a tad unnecessary, especially in the context of a landscape architecture forum. Regardless, thanks for the replies.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register