Cameras

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Looking for a reasonably priced camera to take portfolio images.  Am only interested in comments regarding Canon cameras. Specifically, anyone have experience with Canon PowerShot G11 or Canon EOS T3i, T2i or T1i?

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

What are you planning to shoot? As much as I like the G11 (I plan on getting one eventually), a DSLR might be better to take pictures of built work, as you can get a wide array of lenses. Namely, WIDE angle. The less expensive DSLRs (Anything below a 5D) has a crop factor as the sensor is not the same size as 35mm film, so the 18mm kit lens is actually about 28mm (give or take). So, in order to get true wide angle, you need a lens at about 8-10mm. I usually rent a Tokina 10mm f2.8 (approx $700 to buy), but there are some less expensive lenses available from Canon, Sigma, and Tamron that do roughly the same thing. That is the nice thing with DSLRs, you can swap lenses, and rent the really expensive ones. Drawback? Size and weight. I want to get a G11 because I am am sick of lugging around my DSLR and 800lb walkaround lens. My camera (20D) is larger than the Rebel series, has a magnesium frame, a car battery (1000shots baby!), and the 18-200mm image stabilized lens I keep on it has lots of glass, so the whole thing weighs a tont. Add in additional lenses, batterties, memory cards, cleaning gear, and at a minimum, I end up with my “man purse”, which is handy for maps, ipod, phone and such. But sometimes you want to travel light. 

The G11 has a lens equivalent of 28mm-104mm. The widest you can get is on the camera 28mm, which isn’t that wide, especially if you are taking pictures in tight spaces. You can get external screw-on lenses for the G11, but the image results are never as good as a purpose-built lens as with a DSLR.  The G11 is obviously much smaller and lighter and will travel much better.Plus, it has all the great fetaures and manual controls of a DSLR.

It six of one, half dozen of the other…it all depends on what your needs are and what you are taking pictures of.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

I replaced point & shoot Canon with another inexpensive Canon SX-130 simply because it took AA batteries (I like being able to get batteries any time, although I use rechargeables). It was below $200, but I don’t honestly remember the price (thinking $160). I am amazed how good it is. The thing that I like the most is that it can take a fairly wide angle shot of a landscape which has always been difficult to find on a non SLR type camera.

It takes surprisingly good videos as well. It is a 12 megapixel and has a great optical zoom. I had no idea of how good a camera it was when I bought it. Great bang for the buck.

Chad Shaw
    Participant

I have a Canon T1i, have no complaints, although haven’t used it as much as I would like.

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

how much are you willing to spend?  that would greatly influence my opinion on the matter.

i just purchased a Canon Rebel XSi and it is sweet, but it was also $700+

Thank you, Jason!  I am totally relating to the weight aspect of your comments.  Yes, this will be for taking pictures of built work and other portfolio images.  After looking at the G11, I’m still looking at a DSLR, still not knowing very much.  If you are so inclined, please take a look at this link.  Compared to the Canon website, this seems reasonably priced and comes with 2 lenses.  

http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=11536255&whse=BC&Ne=5000001+4000000&eCat=BC|90607|83&N=4047261%204294967258&Mo=1&No=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

Thank you, Joseph.  I’m specifically looking at Canon cameras.

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

I’ve been out of the market for these for a while, but by a quick look this seems like a good package and a pretty good deal.

One thing you may want to consider is getting a “superzoom” lens that goes all the way from 18mm to 250mm instead of the two-lens setup. But as a package, that seems to be a bargain. Also, shop around, even at local camera stores, the big local store here price matches.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register