Can Anyone speak to the MLA programs at SUNY ESF, Rutgers, or UMASS?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Can Anyone speak to the MLA programs at SUNY ESF, Rutgers, or UMASS?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Dan Barbato
    Participant

Been accepted to these and other but trying to narrow it down. These there are my top 3 but looking for some possible advice? Maybe someone to chat further with

Dan Barbato
    Participant

I know Somebody can help!

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

Kinda hard to comment on it. It’s someones opinion. It really depends what you want to get out of it. I went to ESF 10 years ago for my BLA, and there are some good professors there, but that was 10 years ago. Things change. I’d recommend visiting each program, tour the facilities, and look at the student work. Ask relevant questions such as the focus of the program (technical vs. artisitc), and see which one meets with your goals. Since these are all state schools, it would make sense to attend the one in your state. The ROI would be so much better with the in-state tuition. I’m hoping to go for an MLA or a MARC in the fall myself, and I visitied the programs. Only way to really tell.

Dan Barbato
    Participant

good advice. i’ve done some visiting already, i was just looking for some comments to add to the visiting experience. never hurts to hear some testimonials

Bill Einhorn
    Participant

target=”_blank”>http://www.ldaw.net
    Thanks,

Bill

Kevin J. Gaughan
    Participant

Dan, I looked at all three of these schools when I was trying to figure out where i wanted to go (granted this was like 8 years ago). My impressions were that ESF and Rutgers had stronger programs. Out of those two, ESF is a little more oldschool…they seem to focus more on design and planting and maybe be a little behind the curve with technology, but the professors were pretty solid it seemed. Rutgers had much better technology and seemed to focus a bit more on larger scale design (like brownfields and urban redevelopment). I guess it depends a bit on what you are interested in.

Now, as for the schools themselves, I got the impression that rutgers was a suitcase college…with most of the students going back home on the weekends, coming from out of state that did not entice me very much, however the campus is really beautiful. ESF has all of the benefits of going to syracuse without the pricetag….however, it sure snows there a LOT in the winter.

When I was choosing schools i ended up narrowing it down between rutgers and maryland. I found there programs to be pretty comporable, but I liked the campus at maryland more and its proximity to DC. I was really happy with my decision.

Anyway, I hope this helps a bit….good luck!

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

I went to ESF, loved every second of it. The professors are top notch and I know they are making some positive changes to the program… I’d seriously go talk to them in person.

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

Keven isn’t exactly on point with being behind the curve with technology, they have a pretty decent computer lab with all your design essentials: creative suite, 3d studio max, sketchup and i am sure they are adding others. Plus the staff knows what they are doing and helps you become familiar with them enough to master them. I graduated in 2008…

ESF allows the student to follow their preference as far as how they will apply their new found knowledge of Landscape architecture, since not everyone will be site designers, there are options for everyone. If you design, you will, if you interested in historic preservation, you can’t find a better program, if you are interested in planning and large scale you will be immersed in that as well… if you want a bit of everything then this is the spot for you.

I am biased, admittedly, and i know that all three of the programs you listed are amazing so you can’t go wrong. If you want to talk over the phone, i’d be happy to, just send me a mail.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register