Can Grasses be ornamental plant in urban park?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums PLANTS & HORTICULTURE Can Grasses be ornamental plant in urban park?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Luqman
    Participant

Hi friends,
    I just wondering if grasses can be used as ornamental plant in urban park.it has been used in garden but can it be also in park especially in urban area..

Barbara Klemar
    Participant

Hi,

Of course, it jut requires more gardeners care and attention through the season than some hardy bush for example. You can use them both as an ornamental surface or a solitaire regarding the type of grass you use … and other variations and combinations …

Barbara

Luqman
    Participant

Is it the use of grasses has already widely use?or only in certain country?

Daryl McCann
    Participant

Here in Florida grasses are used but it seems most do not know how to maintain them properly. The biggest issue, here at least, is they don’t die off during the winter ( that’s when you want them to look their best). The old blades die and it is impossible to remove the dead. So, like any lawn, you need to cut it back. Thus, there are times when they look miserable or if the proper action has been taken, severely cut back. So many times I have seen them used on new installs only 1-2 years later yanked out because they were never properly maintained. Great plants but know how to take care of it.

Daryl

Chloe Tait
    Participant

In australia we use native grasses all the time in urban areas. Our grasses are pretty hardy though and basically take care of themselves but if you have nice ones they can be really attractive feature, that can also provide urban habitat for small mamals and insects 🙂

jihan
    Participant

of course. grass can use as ornamental plant in urban park. i like the grass flower. it fells like i’m laura on a little house on the prairi 😀

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

I have been using newer varieties of no-mow turf grasses for ornamental ground covers. They get 6″to8″ high and then flop over onto themselves. Kind of looks like tall mondo grass (which isn’t a grass at all). They require little to no water and can greatly reduce the amount of mowing and care. In fact, you don’t NEED to mow it at all. You must select the proper grass for you area, but here in the Mid-Atlantic, I have been using Buffalo Grass (it goes a golden brown in the winter, looks nice when left unmowed). You can use creeping red fescue in cool season grass areas. There are also lawn blends that can be used. Other taller grasses can be used, but they require a one a year cutting in the fall or spring before they come out of dormancy in order to grow properly.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register