CLARB Council Record

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jay Everett
    Participant

I recently passed the L.A.R.E. and I am in the process of applying for a license. I have heard what seems to be contradictory information regarding a CLARB Council Record. I have several questions: What is your opinion in general of this service provided by CLARB? Are the benefits really worth the cost? Is a Council Record required by your state? Thanks-

Brad Stringer
    Participant

In Mississippi, a Council Record is required to get liscensed. I don’t think the group has their act together on keeping individual records. I have had a “glich” in getting annual renewal notices. They tell me that they email me, but the office (by law) has to keep all emails. I don’t ever get that email reminder. Our office moved over two years ago. I updated my records by phone, since you can’t do anything in the website, and it still went to the old address. All that said, they have been very helpful on the phone to get things straightened out. And with reciprocity, it is definitely worth the money. It beats the time of filling out another application, locating references again, and waiting on 3-5 different people to respond. It seems to pale in comparison the NCARB. Just my opinions.

Jay Everett
    Participant

Thanks Brad. I had heard that Mississippi required a council record, but then again, I have heard that it is not required. At any rate, CLARB has transmitted my scores to the Mississippi Board of Architecture (LA Advisory Committee) so I’m sure that I will know for sure in a few days. So what is the state’s incentive to require a council record? Does it remove the record keeping burden from them? Or is it just something that CLARB has lobbied for?

Anyone else have an opinion? What’s the status in your state?

Jay Everett
    Participant

A CLARB record is required in Mississippi, but only for initial licensure. I finally called CLARB today to find out if they were waiting for anything else from me so they would send out the forms to my references.

They told me they were waiting on my signed affidavit, I told them that I mailed it overnight last wednesday and suddenly they found it. The guy on the other end of the line started to giggle, I was steamed. So far I have been unimpressed with CLARB, mainly for their lack of professionalism.

Boyd Coleman
    Participant

Here in Arizona, we are not required to have a council record. I got my license earlier this year and I didn’t have a council record at the time. However, since my company has offices in other states, my employer would like for me to become licensed in some of those states and is willing to pick up the tab for the cost of any expenses incurred with this. This includes the council record.

I have to admit that if I didn’t work for my current employer and had to pay for it myself, I probably wouldn’t do it and just stay licensed in Arizona. It seems rather expensive for something I can do myself. But the process has been pretty painless and it does make it easy for applying for reciprocity in states that do require it. I agree with Brian. If you are only going to get licensed in one or two states that don’t require it, then it may not be worth your time. But if you think you might want to get licensed in other states eventually, it’s something to definately consider.

Clayton Munson
    Participant

Another thing to remember is that you do not have to pay the additional fee on each section of the test. $37 per section. This can add up if you find yourself having to take the sections multiple times. But I guess the question is. . . Is saving $370 (each test twice) worth the fees that come later, through renewal and all the other add-on fees.

James M. McCord
    Participant

In Florida, it is not required. However, if you have a record and get the creditials to become CLARB certified, then licensure (reciprocity) for additional states is more of a guarantee. Generally (in my opinion), CLARB is a institute that provides very little services besides the LARE that will nickle and dime you for everything. But if you want licensure in multiple states, it is a necessary evil.

I have found that holding a CLARB certification (not required for Illinois) in addition to a license in my home state is a benefit to potential employers who may be seeking someone licensed in multiple states. I don’t have to pay to keep multiple licenses current, but still have the ability to easily get a license in another state if the need arises.

I think that the hoops you have to jump through to get the initial CLARB certification are easier to do immediately after passing the test, rather than trying to go back years later and track down former employers, test scores, transcripts, etc. Unfortunately, beyond holding the certificate and having it on my resume, I get no other value out of the services that CLARB offers, and dealing with their office staff has at times been rather frustrating.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register