Completely ridiculous

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Roland Beinert
    Participant
    nca
    Participant

Pretty ridiculous, but I think there’s also a touch of sensationalism. She won’t get jail time if found guilty I’m sure. And did she ‘elect’ to be tried before a jury??

Roland Beinert
    Participant

True. I didn’t realise she elected to be tried before a jury until I watched the video. I also didn’t realise that she had called the city and been told not to do it before she installed it.

On the other hand, I think it’s absurd that her neighbors complained to the city about a vegetable garden that wasn’t really ugly or offensive. I also thinks it’s absurd that a city code can essentially require you to have a lawn and a few flower beds. I admit that she could (probably) have just moved it to her backyard, but why should she have to? It is her front yard.

Rob Halpern
    Participant

Perhaps allowing local children to discover that food is not necessarily something you have to purchase in packages is just too incendiary?

Robot
    Participant

“Suitable” in my Merriam Webster’s Dictionary is NOT defined as “common.”  Nor are the two listed as synonyms in Roget’s thesaurus.

Roland Beinert
    Participant
    Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

Typical Government control, power madness and arrogance….

what’s next?  ……no raingardens? 

… and by all means, plant more high maintenance turfgrass…..

Ben Yahr
    Participant

That is indeed ridiculous.  A great reminder that we should be designing for people, not for cars.

William Douglas
    Participant

I’ve never understood why the most harmless of things things are shot right down over some policy or ordinance.

Roland Beinert
    Participant

And another example: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/09/memphis_teacher.php
    I wonder if this is the sort of thing the ASLA should try to get involved in.

Steve Mercer
    Participant

I am sure the city would rather her be on food stamps rather than try to provide for her family on her own… the Dems must be running that city.  I do think that there are a lot of subdivisions now that have even more expensive homes that have clauses in their by-laws that you can’t have a vegetable gardern that are having to be rethought about now or at least in the near future.  It’s a good thing I don’t live in a Subdivision with these kind of ordinances.  I would retain the best attorny in town and the pull up the lawn an go to the junk yard and find me the ugliest Chevy Pickup truck I could find drop the axles, the motor and cut the bed out in the center drop it right in the frount yard and then weld a big piece of steel  to the truck so it look like a big knife had stabed the truck right thru  the cab and the put me a tombstone out in front of it  with RIP and then landscape the whole area and have red cascading petunias growing out of the engine compartment and out of the rear bed of the truck and call it artwork and see how far the city would like to fight.  You know what they say about fiight’n with a pig in the mud don’t you… after fiight’n with em awhile it will eventually occur to you that the pig likes it thare.

s.

Heather Smith
    Participant

Can’t leave any opportunity to make a political point? They don’t run on party and last time I checked it is usually those really annoying progressives that support local food growth…at least in my neck of the woods and I live in Idaho.

According to the article there isn’t even a city code that prohibits the placement of her vegetable gardens. I think some cranky neighbor complained.

I liked a comment on the article that was posted essentially saying, If it is good enough for the White House it’s good enough for Oak Park!

Roland Beinert
    Participant

…and another: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/10/city_in_wisconsion_outlaw_bicyclists_pedestrians.php

This time a town is thinking about passing an ordinance that would essentially ban walking or biking. The article points out that there have been very few accidents. The author comes to the conclusion that the town is secretly run by the witch from Hansel and Gretel, and that the ordinance is an attempt to fatten up the town’s residents so they can be eaten.

Roland Beinert
    Participant

http://www.grist.org/list/2011-12-21-cops-mock-seattle-jogger-nearly-killed-by-a-truck
    Stay in your house or your car, folks. No walking, biking or jogging. If you do walk, bike or jog you will get hit by a car, and, of course, that will be entirely your fault, because drivers have a basic right to speed and not pay attention. If you must go out, at least wear full body armor. Furthermore, anyone who voluntarily does not drive a car, even for short trips, is a luddite. Legs are sooo last century.
    Sorry. I’m in a sarcastic mood today.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register