Constructed Treatment Wetlands Resources

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums RESEARCH Constructed Treatment Wetlands Resources

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    CassieNichols
    Participant

I am looking for resources on constructed treatment wetlands- specifically located on a fairly steep bank treating stormwater from interstate/roadways.

Rob Halpern
    Participant

A book? Creating Freshwater Wetlands by Donald Hammer

An expert? Michael Ogden of http://www.biohabitats.com/

Trace One
    Participant

Why are you locating treatment on steep slopes? Best Management Practices would put the low point ditch in some kind of  BMP planting design, but steep slopes are only for erosion control, really. More info needed, maybe?  or are you just looking for what to do on steep slopes? (contour grading and erosion control)…

CassieNichols
    Participant

This is for a bridge that crosses a river.  There is a stormwater outlet at the steepest part of the slope, but quickly flattens as drainage would reach the river.  My thinking now is to incorporate a series of check dams (as part of erosion control) into the slope and have a constructed wetland closer to the river.  I am hoping to find a project that is similar, but have not had any luck. 

Thank you all for your response!

Trace One
    Participant

http://www.biohabitats.com/

check out these guys, they are masters..What you are talking about is not rocket science, you just stated exactly what you need for design..check dams and recreated wetlands lower down slope, next to river.. Good idea ( I think!?) that is how it should be.

Biohabitats recreated a part of a river running through Azalea Park in Charlottesville, Va. when I worked there – they redid a degenerated river curve with willow wattles according to curve calulations done by them. I could not believe they were proposing to remove any existing substantial willows. It was a good design, but I still think existing plants should  be preserved.

Goustan BODIN
    Participant

Hope this book will change your professional life the way it changed mine :

Hi Cassie

Melbourne Water in Australia have good guidelines on constructed wetlands just look them up on the web. City of Melbourne WSUD guidelines, Virginia DCR Stormwater Spec, City of Portland Stormwater Manual and California Department of Transport Website are useful.

Although what you describe might suit a bio-infiltration trench/basin setup better as roads often carry heavy metals and toxins that can damage fragile eco-systems.

Alternatively you can design in an entire treatment train starting with roadside swales – infiltration trench – bio-retention basin and then a constructed wetland. It depends on what your trying to achieve in terms of local water infiltration or a complete water treatment cycle.

Hope This helps

CassieNichols
    Participant

Thank you!  I will check them out as well.

Phil Moorehead
    Participant

The first thing that came to mind was a series of terraced rice paddies (substitute sedges and rushes). If this were somehow visually accessible, it might be worthwile to recreate that aesthetic. Here’s a pretty entertaining animation: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/rice-paddy.html

Goustan BODIN
    Participant

I f you happen to know this guy, please forward him my best regards. Not just the regular signature type best regards, but something that comes from deep within. This book is just colossal.

Cheers

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register