Cornell vs UMass MLA programs

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums EDUCATION Cornell vs UMass MLA programs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sean Fitzsimmons
    Participant

Hello out there,

Does anyone have any thoughts/opinions about the Cornell and/or UMass MLA programs?  I’m trying to decide and am pretty torn though I’m leaning towards UMass.  It seems to me that the extra cost of Cornell isn’t worth it.  But I’m wondering if there is something I am missing that might make me feel more definitively about one or the other.

Thanks!

Sean

Tara McIntire
    Participant

Hi Sean, 

I am a Cornell MLA graduate and though there have been changes in staff since 2003, some of the new folks were fellow classmates and they all thoughtful and grounded.  One of things I loved about the program was how it really blended design skills with real world skills that would be needed to get a job. Most people I interviewed with  complemented Cornell grads with their entry-level skills and ability to start work without too much training.  I don’t know the cost difference between UMASS and Cornell, but I thought Cornell was VERY reasonable as compared to other programs such as Harvard, Penn or even Michigan.  I loved Cornell and had a great experience there. I’d contact firms and get their impressions of what recent graduates have been like from each school and the skills they are teaching.   My two cents. Good luck! Both good schools!  

Tom Klein
    Participant

I am curious how people feel about UMass Amherst as well. I live in Massachusetts and am an admitted student for the fall semester, and am having a hard time finding alumni or other resources to help me consider my options. 

Any UMass alumni on here who can provide their perspectives about the program?

Sean Fitzsimmons
    Participant

Hi Tara,

Thanks so much for taking the time to give me your thoughts.  I should have thought to post my question earlier than I did.  I had to give Cornell my answer last week.  I decided on U-Mass.  I had great visits at both schools and came to the conclusion that I would never with certainty know which place would be the best “fit” for me.  So I let cost be the determining factor.  Tough to turn down Cornell, hope I didn’t make a mistake!

Thanks again,

Sean

Tara McIntire
    Participant

Good Luck Sean!

Truly any program is what you make of it.  UMASS has a good program (though I honestly don’t know any graduates…I’ve been on the west coast for 10 years now so I’m surrounded by UC Berkeley people!).  Cost is an important factor to consider, especially since LA isn’t a high paying field in general.  Have fun and enjoy your time there!

Tara

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register