Curves

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

there absolutely is a place for everything. even polka dots.

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

how awesome is that? nowadays you’d need to have a railing on everything to prevent people from falling and maybe hurting themselves, and because of litigation, we have neutered an aspect of grand design that Halprin was able to create here, simply awesome.

I am about Darwinism, if someone is too careless while moving towards the edge of something, then they get what they deserve.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

Curves can also be a response to what is planted. I’m a big believer in planting for purpose. Often the planting composition that is put together to affect a structure or a space. I like to make planting beds fit a planting rather than use plantings to fill pre-formed beds unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise (such as to purposely create a rectilinear layout). That often results in gentle curves.

I find that the need for curves or lines usually evolves based on what is going on with site features, circulation, and how plants are used. I seldom, if ever, decide that a design is going to be curvy or square from the get go unless it is driven by a major feature (like a pool preference conveyed by the client) or physical site constraints (wetlands or lot shape vs. house shape)..

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

And sometimes Lines (linear forms) create curves… the implied curve… connect the dots in your minds eye…

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register