Design for the homeless

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Laura Kendrick
    Participant

No problem, Trace, and thanks for your additional thoughts.  I know it’s a touchy subject for a lot of people, so I knew I was taking the chance of getting incendiary comments (although I don’t consider yours such; I haven’t yet read the rest of the posts, so I may yet find some).  Mostly I just wanted to see what things LAs and others have been thinking/doing that’s in any way related to homelessness, and I knew I would also get well-reasoned responses.

Laura Kendrick
    Participant

Thanks for the newspaper suggestion.  And if I may play devil’s advocate for a moment: I understand the reasoning for your initial point in this post, but isn’t a blanket assumption that all advocacy-type organizations exaggerate or inflate their data (which seems to be what you are implying, so forgive me if that’s not what you meant) also a type of bias?  I’m sure there are some cases where organizations do such a thing, but there are also cases where they have similar data to, as you say, “credible sources.”  For example, one factsheet here from NCH (http://www.nationalhomeless.org/factsheets/lgbtq.html) posts similar data as here (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/07/110721163031.htm).  If I can conjecture that you, or your average person, would consider the American Journal of Public Health a reputable source of data, then it might be unfair to classify all organizations such as NCH as inherently incapable of providing accurate data. 

Also, the link from NY Times was interesting–thanks.   It reminds me that it seems the fundamental problem with not just the issue at hand but many that are constantly being argued (especially in the political arena), is that people are trying to decide between 1) helping some people (i.e., creating some type of public service or program) while being aware that there are those who will take advantage of the system and finding a way to deal with the latter, or 2) helping no one because we know there are people who ‘don’t deserve it’ (which I put in quotes because this can be subjective, of course) who will try to get the same help as someone who truly does need it.  I don’t know if there’s a “right” answer to these type of dilemmas–maybe just an answer that we can agree to deal with until another generation comes along and changes its mind–so, yeah, there’s me with my philosopher’s hat on.  Sorry to wander off topic a bit…

Laura Kendrick
    Participant

Yes–I wasn’t trying to exclude any group in my posts, just point out some of them.  I’m glad to hear the gov’t is doing some good things for Vets now; I’ve heard some pretty terrible stories in recent years (although I think they were all related to funding and mental health–the rate of suicide of vets was disturbing–and not about homelessness).  And don’t worry–I still have the “old” books; I was just hoping to have some new and old thoughts and numbers!

Laura Kendrick
    Participant

Cool!  Thanks!

Laura Kendrick
    Participant

Yeah, unfortunately I’ve already realized I will need a backup plan.  As it stands, I couldn’t even find an internship for this summer where I’d get paid relatively cheaply and get no benefits.

Jessi Barnes
    Participant

Laura, if you’re looking for examples of humanitarian-minded design, I suggest looking at the Open Architecture Network (http://openarchitecturenetwork.org/). Architecture for Humanity started it as a global database for designs oriented for people who generally cannot afford a designer. You might find some “current” research or project examples there.

Good luck!

mauiBob
    Participant

Folks, I said this already. The homeless do not pay taxes or vote! End of story. Any kind of shelters being build will have to primarily come from private donations. No elected officials are going to channel taxpayers money into building several homeless shelters when our schools and infrastructure are crumbling down. Not happening. The VA and rest of America should be ashamed for any War time Vet to be homeless. And many of these homeless do not want help, because they are drug addicts and mentally disabled. You need to solve the social aspects of homelessness before tackling the need to design structures.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register