Distance Learning and Landscape Design

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums EDUCATION Distance Learning and Landscape Design

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hello, one and all! I am new to the landscape design field, and am quickly discovering that my diploma in landscape design has not given me near enough tools for designing landscapes nor running a successful business. Being from the Toledo, Ohio area, my resources are far from plentiful. Any suggestions on distance learning programs in the landscape or landscape design field? Thank you all for your input!

nca
    Participant

Perhaps you could narrow your search by asking yourself what it is specifically you feel is missing. There are lots of good books out there on business, investing, design, management, and construction. Perhaps a degree in Landscape design/arch is not necessarily what you need.

Thanks, Nick. The diploma I have just gave me a brief bit of info on all those topics, and it’s just not enough for me to get started in the business. I do have a few good books (Dirr’s Woody Plants, Booth’s Residential Landscape Arch.) which help. I was just looking for classes or a program that one could do from home to help advance my knowledge, primarily in the areas of design, sustainability, and green industry business. But thank you for your input.

Jordan Lockman
    Participant

If you can afford it, I would recommend working as close to the field as possible. I worked on a landscape crew for my first year out of school and it helped immensely. I did get frustrated having a Landscape Architecture Degree and holding a shovel, but in the end I connected a lot of dots between what I was taught and what really happens in the field. A little humility training never hurts either.

I might suggest attending as many seminars as you can. There is a surprising amount of them out there, you may have to attend some that are not exactly what you are looking for. So take what you can from the seminars you are able to find. For example I attended a seminar on water gardening and they gave a really good synopsis of the life cycle of aquatic environments.

Something else that I just started doing was getting involved in Garden Clubs/Societies. These groups have older members that have learned from actually doing planting/landscaping. They will fill many of the wholes left by even a thorough education.

Just some thoughts.

Jordan

Thanks, Jordan. I’ve been compiling a list of resources online, and I am finding that alot of them offer classes and seminars for OCNT or APLD credits. And I hadn’t thought of Garden clubs before, but you are 100% correnct, and the great thing about the green industry is that everyone involed in it is quick to share their info and experiences. On the job front, I am currently looking for a green industry job, but didn’t get a hit this past spring. Although I will keep looking for the remainder of the year, I know my best opprtunities lie in the late winter/early spring, so I will continue to “bone up” on my plant/design information to help put me in the best situation. Thanks again for the input – I greatly appreciate it!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register