Do you seal/sign your projects at your firm?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Do you seal/sign your projects at your firm?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Rebecca
    Participant

I was wondering how important it is to you to be the Landscape Architect of Record on your projects and if your firm allows multiple people to seal and sign your drawings or if it is limited to the Department Head.

In my current position we have 3 Landscape Architects and I was fairly recently given the ability to seal and sign my own projects. The Architects are a much larger group at our office and that is limited to only 2 Architects that sign all projects.

I know some people prefer not to sign them at all. What is the practice at your office and do you find this to be important to you or do you feel this is an insignificant detail?

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

I believe that when you stamp and sign a document you have something akin to a trademark. This can be important in the future because I don’t believe that anyone or firm could stop you from using that work as part of your portfolio. It may also carry more weight with a future employer to see plans stamped by you in that portfolio.

A solid body of built work that is clearly your own is one of the strongest influences on potential clients in choosing a designer. Anything and everything that works in that direction should be done if you ever plan on not being an employee for your entire career.

That is a great opportunity your employer is giving you. Embrace it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register