does germany landscape the autobahns?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION does germany landscape the autobahns?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Trace One
    Participant

I have not been to germany since I moved away in 1975, and I was not thinking about Landscape design at the time… So my question for anyone who has been there is, does Germany landscape it’s Autobahns?

thanks for your help.

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

Does anyone have time to even see it with the needle pegged?

Trace One
    Participant

Ha! My point exactly, Jason!

Theodore Tegen
    Participant

When I was there last, ~2 yrs ago or so, I noticed several habitat bridges along the way. They’re pretty interesting to read about. They are essentially designed to reduce the wildlife habitat fragmentation that occurs along with the building of major habitat barriers like autobahns/freeways. There is no accommodation for vehicular or pedestrian traffic on these bridges, they are simply meant to be a wildlife corridor, pretty neat.

Historically though, the Germans designed the layouts of their autobahns to capture scenic views of the landscape. It was yet another manifestation of Nazi ideology. In fact, few Germans even owned automobiles when the autobahns were first built, thus Hitler gave Germany Volkswagen, “The Peoples Car” so all would have access to these magnificent new freeways. All American freeways are built on the same principles as the first autobahns – max 3% grade, overpasses, etc.

Sorry for the history lesson, I could go on and on…

Trace One
    Participant

Thank you, Theodore, so it seems like you are saying ‘captured views’ is the only landscaping they do? I like that! We are busy in California planting and irrigating, for people driving 80 mph, and I just think it is wrong!

Boilerplater
    Participant

Hey, all that planting and irrigating keeps people employed! But for a fiscally strapped state like California, that may not be the wisest course of action.

Trace One
    Participant

Certainly keeps ME employed, Boilerplater! Hee hee..Every action has reactions, I geuss..I am sure I am going to loose my anti-irrigation crusade, anyway – it is like gospel around here, the sainted holy central valley of the irrigated landscape..While the sierra snowpack diminishes, the governator wants to build some huge tunnel to capture more water and keep it for humans, and the farmers are marching on sacramento for their acre feet allotment..
    But god forbid we do without our pepper trees and rosemary, as we speed along at 80mph…

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

Agreed. Because of the budgets here around DC, most of the medians aren’t even mowed this year. Its great. It looks sooooo much better than when it is mowed and the clppings are all clumped and nasty. I think they should just mow 8′ in (for a shoulder) and let the rest go natural…trees and all. But we all know what traffic/trans engineers thing of trees. I can see doing some very intense decorative plantings in certain areas, and let the rest go.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register