Edging?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Ilse Frank
    Participant

Hi Land8’ers—

I am looking for a landscape edging product– it needs to have a “soft” top edge as it’s going to be used near to a children’s play area.  

So, ryerson/steel edging isn’t a possibility as it is sharp. We looked at “Bend A Board” but a contractor told us that it wouldn’t work with the curve radius we’ve drawn– he also called it “Break A Board!”  But we liked it b/c it has a rounded edge…  

So– now we are stumped!!!  Any other off the shelf products or custom ideas that come to mind???

Thanks!

Louis Wynne
    Participant

What will you be trying to hold back with the edging? Try http://www.olyola.com and view products?

Louis Wynne/landscape architect on folio page 23 or 24 under view all

Go with a cultivated edge, 4″ deep.  Your material cost is reduced and you eliminate the hazard of sharp edges.  A cultivated edge can be just as easy to maintain if not easier then a “structural” type edging system, plus you don’t have some ugly plastic edging defining your spaces/beds.

mauiBob
    Participant

In Hawaii, especially on Maui, about 50% of the construction work uses “Bend-A-Board” and your contractor doesn’t have any idea what they’re talking about…maybe time to consult with another. It’s called bend-a-board for a reason! Enclosed are a couple of photos taken around my condo. The LA firms submit their permit plans for review and approval, and I almost always see this B-A-B detail. Show the contractor these photos and inform him that it is heavily used on a tropical island with great results. I see it mainly in parks, schools and condominium landscape. Good luck and Aloha!

david maynes
    Participant

playground precast rubber edging/curbing might work. It wouldn’t be a super clean look, but a kid wont bust his noggin on it.

see: Softline Flexi Edge for example

best of luck!

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

[Like]

Jordan Lockman
    Participant

Your photos look like standard plastic edging and not the bend-a-board? Also why do people feel the need to put edging up against hardscapes like sidewalks, driveways, etc?

Jordan Lockman
    Participant

I like the Natural/cultivated edge also. It would not work very well between sand and soil or in an active recreation area.

Kevin J. Gaughan
    Participant

Seems like this product by Permloc might be an option:http://www.permaloc.com/products/onyx.html

Also, their aluminum edging has a beaded top that makes them significantly less sharp than steel edging.

I have often wondered that same thing.  If you have a hard edge (ie. sidewalk) why are you wasting the money and putting in another edging device?

Mike G
    Participant

1) Cultivated / shovel cut edge is great but may not hold up in a playground. However it will not create a tripping hazard like the plastic edge sometimes can do.

2) Permaloc and Olyola have generally good and durable products. However if you live in any place other than Hawaii frost can heave these out of the ground, and potentially create this tripping hazard.  If you do install these products specify stakes every 18″ and installed on a 45 to 60 degree and not straight down.

Heather Smith
    Participant

Is the playground surrounded by grass? Sidewalk? I have kids…and am wracking my brain, I go to a lot of parks/playgrounds and don’t really think of using edging like you mention at all.

Oftentimes they will have the edge of the playground raised(wood/plastic)…you step up and over the playground…or down into the playground. I have seen cement edging….or cultivated. I suppose everywhere has different requirements.

http://www.archiexpo.com/prod/bci-burke/edgings-for-playgrounds-11193-155132.html

Good luck! And sorry for my rambling.

Jordan Lockman
    Participant

My neighborhood playground that my son goes to has a 6″ concrete  curb running around it to hold the sand in. It Seems to work well.

Jordan Lockman
    Participant

You still need to do a trenched edge along the sidewalk or hardscape, but otherwise double edging is just a waste…

mauiBob
    Participant

WOW!! America has become a country of wimps! I guess I can understand because of liabilities and lawyers. Seriously, the actual playground equipment can do more harm to kids than a 1/2″ or less, protruding edge product in the perimeter. Give me a break!! What’s more likely to cause injury? The climber rock wall, trapeze bar, loop ladder or the edge product in my photos? The “edging” is not set in the middle of the playground to become a tripping hazard.

You can pretty much say anything in the landscape be hazardous if you search close enough. Walking through a pedestrian courtyard plaza is more dangerous than a stroll in the Serengeti National Park or Amazon jungle?!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register